Mini-wsm build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you still have the steamer insert for the pot, put that in place and rest the saucer on that. The saucer needs to be fully supported on the bottom or it will crack. Plus, the steamer insert can act as a diffuser for higher heat cooks without the saucer. If you want a 2nd rack, get the CHARCOAL grate for the 18" weber, I believe it's part #7440, and place it directly on top of the saucer. I've used this configuration many times and my saucer has yet to crack. I've also had great temperature control and stability. I've never cooked without the steamer insert in place and have been able to dial stable in temps from 200˚ up to 375˚.

Last edited:
If you still have the steamer insert for the pot, put that in place and rest the saucer on that. The saucer needs to be fully supported on the bottom or it will crack. Plus, the steamer insert can act as a diffuser for higher heat cooks without the saucer. If you want a 2nd rack, get the CHARCOAL grate for the 18" weber, I believe it's part #7440, and place it directly on top of the saucer. I've used this configuration many times and my saucer has yet to crack. I've also had great temperature control and stability. I've never cooked without the steamer insert in place and have been able to dial stable in temps from 200˚ up to 375˚.
I'll try that next week. I think I may try a mac'n'cheese Fatty.

Thanks for the tip!

the only thing that has annoyed me so far is the ash covering the bottom vent. I've read that people use a can, poke holes in it and use it to protect the bottom vent. but what i think i'm going to do is drill holes in the side like a UDS. I would think that would be the best way to ensure air flow. My last smoke with it was some spare and beef ribs, at 4 hours i needed to dump the ashes. at that point the ribs were in foil, i tried banging it out, and when i took the ribs out the foil was covered in ash. I dont want to have to do that next time. Would also like to try a Butt in there, but i dont want to have to mess with it, and since the ash covering the bottom vent was my only issue, i think i should be able to get 10 hours smoke time out of it if i fix that..

I have 2 people who are going to get me a 55 gallon drum for my UDS build. Cant wait for that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky