Mini-wsm build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
Just picked up the stuff I need for a mini-wsm.
I'll have a few minutes tomorrow to finish it up and season it.
4a6c8d08-5313-f978.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

looks great. My dad has a smoky joe grill . It might disappear next time i'm up there
police2.gif

went to walmart to get the pot . they didn't have any
frown.gif

can get it on line but the stores don't carry them here

Last edited:
I purchased on line from Amazon but got the Vasconia tamale steamer pot which was $38 as it is supposed to have a better fit. It works great. Used a cast iron pan with the handle cut off rather than the terra cotta saucer, again works well.

Cut the bottom out, got the grill in, 3 inches from the top of the pot. Next I want to make the fire box, rest a terra cotta plate on to of it. Then figure out where to mount another grate.

hey  jrod62 got a mexican produce or cental foods by you? they should have the pot you looking for. those Vasconia tamale steamer pot work nice too.

looks great !!!

let us know how easy it is to control the temp.

this is on the need to have list. just have to find the pot

Check Amazon for the "Old Smokey" thermometer, its $10. I used the 2" which allows the movement of grill past it.

Hmm, didnt think of movement of the grills. shouldn't the probe reach the middle of the grill, to get the correct temperature?
First, let me preface this with, this is my first charcoal smoker.
I figured I would see how to keep temps, and get a feel for smoking with it. I didnt make the fire box yet, and just put some coals on the grate. This smoker held temps for three hours, solid at 244, it actually amazed me. I thought it would be more difficult. Then somewhere during the third hour, the coals started to go out, i guess I have some research to do on coal placement. It looked like the coals in the center burnt out, but didnt catch to enough of the ones radiating out. My guess is once I have the fire box, that won't matter.
Overall so far the transition from propane to charcoal didn't seem to difficult, and I'm loving this new smoker.

The 2" probe is able to closely match the temp probe I drop thru the vent, so I'd say works well. Are you planning to make a charcoal ring from expanded metal? My is 4" tall and the same diameter as the charcoal grate. Tried and true.

The 2" probe is able to closely match the temp probe I drop thru the vent, so I'd say works well. Are you planning to make a charcoal ring from expanded metal? My is 4" tall and the same diameter as the charcoal grate. Tried and true.
Yes, expanded metal.

thanks for the measurements, going to go pick some up either at home depot, or a welding supply.... Ran out of CO2 for my keggerator! kill two birds with one stone... and smoke em!

did some research, and it looks like if i use the minion method for the coals, i will take off the top layer of coals, get them nice and hot, then put them back in. then i'll have wood chunks mixed in with the layers of coals, for a nice smoke... I'm excited, think i'm going to do some spares next weekend on this.

Alright, well here it goes... Finished her up. I took these pics from the bottom up, so you can get an idea.
4a6c8d08-d7a5-9088.jpg

4a6c8d08-d7c3-199f.jpg

4a6c8d08-d7dd-28f3.jpg

4a6c8d08-d7f0-a768.jpg

4a6c8d08-d812-756e.jpg

Overall, it was easy, cheap, and keeps temps stable.

Consider resting the saucer on a 18" charcoal rack which would rest on the indentation in the pot. Y,ou'll need some air flow to keep the fire going, not sure it will work as you set up. IMHO

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky