Michigan members group own map, Where are you in Michigan?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!  Now, can you make this weather turn? I have to get my money's worth out of this pontoon we just bought!

Hello from Alcona County. I'm new to smoking and have a strong desire to smoke with wood harvested from my property. I'm hoping someone will give me advice on smoking Michigan's fleet meat, the whitetail deer. If I could make venison as tender and flavorful as the pork butt that was my first smoking project, it would help empty the freezers before the next deer season.

Hello from Alcona County. I'm new to smoking and have a strong desire to smoke with wood harvested from my property. I'm hoping someone will give me advice on smoking Michigan's fleet meat, the whitetail deer. If I could make venison as tender and flavorful as the pork butt that was my first smoking project, it would help empty the freezers before the next deer season.
Welcome Cedar eater! When it comes to venison, one sure-fire way to make it disappear is turn it into jerky. My wife does NOT like venison steaks, loins, etc...but when I make teriyaki jerky, it's amazing how fast it goes!

LOL - that's why I put "summer". You got the "leafers" coming next.....and thanks to the established wineries, the drunks come year round now! haha

New to the group from Clinton Township. Love the forum great info and tips .:grilling_smilie:
Love smokin have some bacon curing for the first time planning on cold smokin it hoping things turn out good.

New to the group from Clinton Township. Love the forum great info and tips .
grilling_smilie.gif

Love smokin have some bacon curing for the first time planning on cold smokin it hoping things turn out good.
Big welcome Murray from shelby Twp. Glad you're enjoying yourself. This is a great forum and thanks for joining the MI members group. Be sure to let us know how that bacon turns out.

Last edited:
I made this with pink curing salt, kosher salt, honey, fresh crushed black pepper, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar.

Really nice sweetness to it I would adjust the salt levels as I felt that it could be a bit saltier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky