Mesquite chili! W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pernox

Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Western MA
Well, as I said, I was inspired by SOB and his smoked chili meat... So I had to do my own today! Unfortunately, some of the ingredients came out of a can (the tomatoes and kidneys) but the flavor on this ground beef (85/15) MORE than made up for it! At least I got to use my own onions, right?

Before the actual food pics, I thought I'd show my second Faithful Assistant. She likes to clean up anything that might.. *ahem* accidentally fall on the ground during the smoking process.
icon_wink.gif

Recipe was basic and not too spicy; my girls aren't big on heat. I just keep a jar of red pepper flakes next to me at the table.

Two lbs ground round, smoked for three hours @225* with LOTS of mesquite smoke!
two medium onions, chopped
two cans of kidney beans
chili powder
garlic powder
tomato sauce
chopped tomatoes
shot of ground cayenne pepper
shot of red pepper flakes

Into the crockpot for about six hours. Blam!

Hey Pernox,

Good looking assistant, good looking chile. At first I couldn't tell what kind of rig you had so I went back to read your original roll call post. It looks like you are really getting some good smoke out of your setup, so let me be the first to throw you some points on ingenuity and a darn good looking pot of smoked meat chile. Keep up the good work.

points.gif

I made some hickory smoked chili a couple weeks ago. I pan fry the meat then smoked it in a foil pan. It turned out really good.
I've also made some good smokey taco meat out of left over smoked hamburgers too. Of course all I have at the moment is an electric Roaster/Smoker.

Nice looking chili there there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Your chili looks darn good with the smoked meat. Question thou did the smoke flavor stand out in the chili or was it masked by the other ingredents?? The wife made some white bean chili for a baby shower for our oldest daughter last weekend and the smokeyness of the turkey seemed to be masked by all the other stuff in the chili. That is what led me to ask you about your meat flavors??

Thanks! It took a little trial and error to make the grill work for me, but I can get it cranking pretty good now that I've got some practice under my belt. I'm still looking to build something more conducive to smoking soon, though. Thinking a UDS. Then I can have fresh grilled veggies to go with the smoked meat!!

SOB - thank you again for the inspiration! We had some leftovers just now for supper. WOW! You are indeed The Man.
icon_smile.gif

I was worried about losing the flavor, but it didn't do so, IMHO. I think the amount of surface area the ground beef has when it's all broken up (I flipped the whole mess halfway through, too) absorbs enough smoke to let the flavor out into the chili. I've made this recipe with pan-browned beef before, and this dish has a flavor all its own. I got the wood going real nice and smoky before putting the beef in, and added two more good sized chunks during the three hour smoke - so it had LOTS of mesquite flavor on its own, and transferred enough to the pot to make everything real nice.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Looks great. Nothing beats chili, except maybe smoked chili. Next time, I recommend you try smoking a sirloin, stopping when it is maybe 120-130 degrees, cubing it, and using that as the meat for your chili. I'm a die hard chili fan, and I'll never be able to go back to ground beef after first trying sirloin (smoked or not) a few years back.

I've got pictures on my camera for a smoked sirloin chili I made a couple weekends ago, I need to get them off and start a thread for that...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky