MES smoke box mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmaddox

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Central FL
After reading a lot of MES modification threads I was inspired to build my own smoke box. I currently have no intentions to cold smoke but I wanted to increase the wood capacity/smoking time as well as make something that I could check/service/refill without opening the door (I didn't like having to find a flashlight to peer down the tube to check the chip tray). I ended up using a 4" round tin can and a dryer duct elbow. I installed a piece of screen to hold the chips off the bottom and drilled some holes for air circulation. After numerous trials (and errors) I found that it worked best when I filled it with chips and then set one lit chunk on top. I also found that it only needed one 1/4" hole in the bottom to produce enough draft. I set it on a ceramic tile to absorb the eat and then just pushed it up against the loading tube. The smoker drafted perfectly. I am getting 3 hours of smoke without messing with it, which for me is a great upgrade for the 30 minutes using the stock chip tray. Well worth the $5 investment.

Nice!   Do you think that would work with pellets?
I'm not sure. I have never used pellets. The chips burn pretty fast and strong with this setup so I don't know if they pellets would burn out too quickly. The next time I use it I am going to try adding some more wood chunks in the mix so it will burn longer.

Very Impressive...Nice Job!

Sure beats spending a bunch for a smoke generator.

Happy Smoking,  John
It definitely beats spending the $75 for the MES smoke generator. I also like that I don't have to run another extension cord to my setup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky