MES 40 croaked today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
So today I loaded 4 pork butts in my 7 month old MES 40, brought it up to 250 and away we went. After cooking flawlessly for about 4 1/2 hours I noticed both the MES and my Maverick temp probes beginning to fall. The heating element light was till on but it was no longer heating.Temp fell to ambient temperature. Went to Masterbuilt's website and saw that the warranty was only 90 days. I bought the smoker in August, so her I sit with $300 chunk of sheet metal and glass. Gonna tear into it tomorrow but don't have much hope. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Don't tear into it. have some patience.

Call their CSR and talk to them. They have an 800 number. Give them a chance before getting all upset, tearing into it where they can't help you.

Then once you've exhausted that posibility ask were you should use the chainsaw.

The Masterbuilt customer servive has always been great with me. What can you loss trying it?

Spoke with Masterbuilt customer service a few minutes ago and they're sending me a new heating element free of charge. Hopefully this will alleviate the issue.

Finally got around to installing the element yesterday. Pulled the cover plate on the back of the unit and found that one of the push on connectors had literally burned off the terminal. cleaned everything up put 2 new terminals on and she works like a charm and I have a spare heating element to boot.

That's Great you got it going again!!

A few years ago there was an MES model being sold, mostly from Sam's Club, that had that same problem. The connectors were corroding off, and I think guys were also replacing the wires with heavier wires, when they replaced the connectors.

Masterbuilt seems to often help people, even after the warranty period has expired.

Bear

That's Great you got it going again!!

A few years ago there was an MES model being sold, mostly from Sam's Club, that had that same problem. The connectors were corroding off, and I think guys were also replacing the wires with heavier wires, when they replaced the connectors.

Masterbuilt seems to often help people, even after the warranty period has expired.

Bear
As a matter of fact this one came from Sam's club. Actually the wires did appear corroded rather than burned off. Bought this one in August last year. I just replaced the connectors but if it gives me any mire grief I'll replace the wires also. Got it smokin right now with ribs and beans.

As a matter of fact this one came from Sam's club. Actually the wires did appear corroded rather than burned off. Bought this one in August last year. I just replaced the connectors but if it gives me any mire grief I'll replace the wires also. Got it smokin right now with ribs and beans.
If the wires appear corroded you should replace them soon-could be a fire hazard. Definitely don't leave this smoker unattended for long until then. But, I'm glad you got it working and have a spare element.

So, what did you use to replace the connectors with? I noticed that my MES 40 was not heating and took the back panel off. The connectors were corroded, but the wires looked ok. I cleaned the connectors as best as possible, but they really need to be replaced. I only can find the cheap ones made for cars, and I don't think they can stand the heat. What do you suggest?

After posting my question, I did some searching online. Found some high temp ones that are rated to 900 dgrees for use in ovens and heaters. They are on the way

Just an update: The high temp connectors came in and I finally was able to attach them. I cut the wires back a bit so that there was good wire contact and cleaned the contacts on the element. Before replacing, the unit was producing 20-60 degrees lower than the display showed (according to the Maverick). Now it is showing 20 degrees higher than the displayed temp. 

I have been asked to tell everyone where I got the high temperature female push on terminals to fix the ones that corroded. I did have to guess as to what size wire was used in the MES, and what I got was actually too big. I ended up bending the wire over and doubling it up. It was almost too big that way, but with a little perseverance and twisting, it slid on and I was able to crimp it. The terminals didn't want to slide onto the element male ends, so I ended up taking a utility knife and bending the prongs out slightly. They didn't move much, but it was just enough that they slid on. 

Here is the info for the company where I purchased them:
[h2]WiringProducts.com[/h2]
Wiring Products, Ltd.
135 Isidor Ct Suite B
Sparks
Nevada
89441 United States
1-800-549-0243

This what I ended up ordering:
WT-392005
16-14 AWG High Temp. Female 0.250'' Push-On terminals 25 Pieces

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky