Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingfish

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I decided to do a meatloaf. WOW, was like nothing I have ever eaten. The texture is what really got me. It was like eating cake made out of meat.
Rough recipe:
3 lbs 80/20 Ground meat
4 cloves fresh garlic minced
1 sweet onion chopped
3 eggs
1/2c milk
2c saltines crushed
1/4c Lee and Pierens - could have gone 1/2c

Smoked over hickory (becouse that is ALL I can find here.) to 170°. Kept smoker at around 230° the whole time. Was about 4 hours if I remember correctly.

All the fixins ready to go.
Picture%20194.jpg

Picture%20194.jpg

Mixed up and ready to go on.
Picture%20196.jpg

Ready to go get started. The wire rack is one of the $1 ones from WM. I decided to do some garlic, onions, and corn also.
Picture%20205.jpg

The garlic after about 90 minutes. Turned out really well. I used VOO and sea salt. I about bit my fingers off after I turned them over after about 45 minutes.
Picture%20207.jpg

Picture%20211.jpg

Picture%20212.jpg

Ready for glaze...Sweet baby rays original. Should have just used ketchup though.
Picture%20217.jpg

Ready to serve. Great smoke ring.
Picture%20221.jpg

Things I will do differently next time:
Chop the onions finer.
Crush the crackers less and use a few more - to add a little more texture.
Find some damn apple wood.
Add a few whole cloves of garlic.
Use Ketchup instead of bbq sauce.
Rub in my standard cayenne/garlic rub.

All in all...Was a good smoke and the meat turned out GREAT. The corn was ok also, though it is REALLY out of season and the stuff I got had to have been shipped in from south of the equator. The onions, well there was just not much too them. Maybe if I do them again I will do them a day before another smoke and use them in a fatty.

I occasionally get smoking wood from my local Ace hardware. Its the Luhr Jensen chips they use in the Lil Chief smokers. They have apple. I like hickory on beef pretty well though myself.

Good looking loaf. Making me hungry now. I am not sure if you have a Menards in your area, but I get bags of apple and cherry and maple and mesquet and hickory, there for a couple bucks each for a 2 pound bag. Around here I know its alot cheaper then the little cheif brand wood. I believe Menard's brand is Western brand. Hope that helps.

Kookie

LOL...I just read this line to my wife and we both laughed ourselves into tears........great description Kingfish!!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

About half an hour before taking it off. It really didn't add anything to the food though. Should have used ketchup and done it an hour before.

Great looking meatloaf.

In what section of Wal-Mart did you find the wire rack? I would like to get me a few of those. Looks like it would work real real well for fatties and ABT's.

Was with the BBQ stuff.

"Oscarware" brand
Disposable Grill Topper
UPC: 091221983449
Made in USA

Meatloaf... a great comfort food when prepared as you have done. Congrats my friend.

Great lookin loaf brother, I made one on Saturday (my first one ever) and it didn't come out to good, hopefully next time it will look more like yours, nice job.

Oak and maple (any of those trees in Alabammy?) are also good smoking woods, I have never tried actual smoking with them myself but have had meat other guys smoked using those woods and I had no complaints on their stuff. Just thought I'd toss that out there...Looked great the way it was though!

That's a great looking meatloaf!! My first one tasted fine but fell like a cake. I did another one on Monday (since us feds had the day off) and it did much better and even tasted better....as they say...practice makes perfect!

looks great did you trim a little of the garlic off the bottom or did you leave them whole?. the garlic i think would make a great smoked garlic butter in a food processor blended together yummy

Yeah, I trimmed the bottoms. poured in VOO and sea salt. Put them bottom up for 45 minutes and flipped them for the rest.

Kingfish, GREAT meatloaf. made it yesterday, had left overs for lunch today. WOW is all I have to say. only thing i did different is used breadcrums instead of crackers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky