Meatloaf and Crispy tater casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Nothing fancy just a normal meat loaf cooked on the mini. Just in time for Turkey day crispy tater casserole.

Crispy tater casserole is super simple, and can be modified to different tastes. This one I kept simple but you can add cheese, prosciutto, bacon, etc.. nutmeg, all spice, etc can be added also.

8-12 peeled & thinly sliced taters (i recommend using a mandolin to accomplish this). Rinse slices in cold water until water is clear, drain well.

3 tablespoon melted butter

3 tablespoons olive oil

3-4 minced garlic cloves

4 shallots thinly sliced

salt pepper to taste

6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 375°. Melt butter and combine with olive oil and minced garlic. Lightly brush casserole dish with mixture. Mix shallots with tater slices. Add remaining butter mixture to tatters and shallots, mix well. Stack taters vertically in casserole. Bake in oven for 70 minutes. Add thyme on top and cook for an additional 35 minutes. If adding other things like bacon, cheese etc, add at this time.

Ready for the oven

Out of the oven

ENJOY!!!!

Wow, those potatoes look great, dirtsailor!
We'll be trying that soon, though I'll probably cut the recipe in half for just the two of us. Cook time probably won't change much.

Wow, those potatoes look great, dirtsailor!
We'll be trying that soon, though I'll probably cut the recipe in half for just the two of us. Cook time probably won't change much.

I have a few 5x5 square ramikans that hold 3 potatoes nicely and we do smaller batches. I have found the times remain the same. Of course the leftovers don't seem to last long either...

Last edited:
Dang, those 'taters are a good idea - reminds me of Hasselback potatoes, but in a caserole form.

This is definitely a must try for me, and I even still have some fresh thyme growing in the yard
icon14.gif

Dang, those 'taters are a good idea - reminds me of Hasselback potatoes, but in a caserole form.

This is definitely a must try for me, and I even still have some fresh thyme growing in the yard Thumbs Up

Very much like hassleback.

Thyme is the only still growing in our yard!

Those taters look so good I might need to leave work now to go make a batch! 

I should have done that yesterday. All day I was thinking about the leftovers in the fridge. Got home and they were gone! Wife ate them for lunch!!!!!

Yes , more on the ML . Been a long time since I've made one and want to see your rendition of the dish :biggrin:
Your Taters looked great , thanks for the look . I love Tater Casserole , especialy with lots of Onion ( actually that makes it a Scolloped dish ) .

Keep happy during the Holiday Season , and never stop smoking :drool

Stan

Yes , more on the ML . Been a long time since I've made one and want to see your rendition of the dish
biggrin.gif

Your Taters looked great , thanks for the look . I love Tater Casserole , especialy with lots of Onion ( actually that makes it a Scolloped dish ) .

Keep happy during the Holiday Season , and never stop smoking
drool.gif

Stan
Hi Stan! The meatloaf was pretty simple, just 1 1/2 pound 80/20 ground chuck, 1 small chopped onion, 1 can green olives (sliced), good dallop of guldens mustard, a swirl of worchestshire, salt, pepper, and 4 minced garlic cloves.  Served with fresh grated horseradish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky