Meat slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want a slicer so much. It's not the cost as much but with a sausage press, vac sealer, dehydrator ,grinder, yadda yadda yadda.... I am running out of room!

Yours looks like a nice one. My press is from Cabelas and its awesome. They sell high quality stuff.  That should last you a lifetime. B

you have to brine to cure the meat before cold smoking for safety, but also, if you don't it will come out tasting like regular roasted or pan fried pork instead of bacon... the curing is chemically cooking the meat, but it is also adding flavor and pulling in hygroscopic sugar and salt which helps with moisture retention... in the case of bacon, i don't think moisture retention is big on the list of what you are trying to accomplish, but it will do just that.
I'm confused. Are you saying a wet brine is required and a dry cure is insufficient before cold smoking bacon? Because I just began dry curing my first test bellies today. Just four 1 pound pieces. I just don't want to misunderstand. I used the dry cure calculator offered on this forum.
-thanks

I'm confused. Are you saying a wet brine is required and a dry cure is insufficient before cold smoking bacon? Because I just began dry curing my first test bellies today. Just four 1 pound pieces. I just don't want to misunderstand. I used the dry cure calculator offered on this forum.
-thanks

You can use a dry rub or brine to cure meat. As long as you have included cure #1 or Mortons Tender quick to your dry rub you are fine.

Reactions: mdgirlinfl
-thanks

Sorry dirtsailor is right... i used brine interchangeably and i shouldn't... dry brine, wet brine, it needs to be cured

Well I settled on the 10" commercial grade slicer from Cabelas. The useable portion of the sled measures about 9". I measured the 12" slicer too and it had the same sled. Hope it works well as it was quite pricy investment. I will keep you posted.
0303082f74947df2d6a4862ad410d5fc.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Got a 10" from Nesco. Took the plastic thing off and bent down the backstop.  Pay attention after that, gotta keep your hands on the meat, the hold down deal, works after awhile, maybe. Blade wants to shuv out from back stop and make slices thicker. A;; turns out good though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky