Meat slicer

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by hagar, Sep 27, 2016.

1. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I posted last. Well I have a question about the Cabelas Deluxe 8.7" meat slicer. Its on sale this week. Im wondering if anyone on here has one and uses it for bacon? I used a LEM 7.5" last time to cut my bacon but I had to cut off about 4" so the bacon would fit on the sled. I now have 19# of belly brining in Pops wet brine and have about a week left before its ready. Let me hear what you guys use for slicing up bacon.[​IMG]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Honestly I have a big commercial 12" slicer that will easily slice large hunks of bacon.

But I usually end up using my Chefs Choice 8" & cutting the slabs in half.

What's the point of having great big long pieces of bacon that are hard to cook because they are hanging over the edge of the pan.

I am not familiar with that particular slicer, but if it is a well built & can be sharpened easily, then I wouldn't let the size stop you.

Just cut the slabs up.

Al

3. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

Well I rarely cook the bacon in a fry pan. I almost always cook the bacon on the Traeger or in the oven. Just my preferance.

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you don't want to trim, the smallest I'd go with is a 10".

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well if you don't want to trim it then go with a 12".

Check Craig's list in your area.

Al

6. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

Well I settled on the 10" commercial grade slicer from Cabelas. The useable portion of the sled measures about 9". I measured the 12" slicer too and it had the same sled. Hope it works well as it was quite pricy investment. I will keep you posted. [​IMG]

cookfarms likes this.
  7. Sweet! Let us know how you like it, I contemplated long and hard between that and the Deluxe 8.7 slicer. I wound up ordering the 8.7 Deluxe last week on the same sale ($99 + free shipping but only 1/4hp though)...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

[​IMG]

10. Anxious to hear how it worked for you.

11. ruleg

ruleg Newbie

Was the Brine for flavor or just adding moisture? I'm look at a Bacon smoke soon!! Are you sharing that brine?

12. mfreel

mfreel Smoking Fanatic

That's the one I have and I think it does a great job.  I have to cut some ends off to get the whole strips of bacon cut, but the ends cook up just fine, too.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure your bacon is almost frozen when you cut it.  As it gets softer, the fatty pieces will get caught up in the blade and get sucked in.  It's a pain.

13. bena

bena Meat Mopper

Agree- I have the same 10" slicer.   I may have to swoosh the slab in and out of the blade by hand if I want longer pieces but it works well for sammich size slices with bacon.

14. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

I used Pops Wet Brine that is very popular on this site.

15. uzikaduzi

uzikaduzi Meat Mopper

you have to brine to cure the meat before cold smoking for safety, but also, if you don't it will come out tasting like regular roasted or pan fried pork instead of bacon... the curing is chemically cooking the meat, but it is also adding flavor and pulling in hygroscopic sugar and salt which helps with moisture retention... in the case of bacon, i don't think moisture retention is big on the list of what you are trying to accomplish, but it will do just that.

16. hagar

hagar Fire Starter

Bacon turned out great! Pops never fails, great flavor. The Cabelas slicer worked great too. I did have to bend the frozen slab in a U shape to be able to slice with out cutting but the slicer went through the bacon like butter. Very pleased.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

bdskelly likes this.
  17. wo44

wo44 Fire Starter

That's some nights fine bacon there

[​IMG]

18. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job Hagar. That bacon it over the top! B

19. uzikaduzi

uzikaduzi Meat Mopper

I don't have an electric slicer... mostly because 2-300 for a big one is a lot for me and I shy'd away from the home use ones because of the small tray. Bending belly in a U is a great idea. Thanks

20. smokin jay

smokin jay Smoking Fanatic

Nice bacon and slicer!