McGyver Style Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had forgotten about that episode with the school lockers! some hot plates come with a temperature control, i have an old one that is used to melt lead that did not have one so i wired a dimmer switch in line to adjust the current. (you are on your own with this type of set-up)
icon_biggrin.gif

I smoke cheese quite frequently with the soldering iron (Harbor Freight $4.29) and tin can. My first soldering iron lasted roughly six months and I also use it in the smoker when smoking at the lower temps because as we all know the MES doesn't start smoking til 180* or higher. I use pellets for smoking as I get about an 1 1/2 hrs of smoke from a 1/4 cup of pellets. As long as I have the temp below 170* I've had no issues with the heat affecting my soldering iron. 

Quick follow-up question:  for those of you who have used or currently use the can / soldering iron method, do you have your iron running through a hole in the top of your can and the tip down into the chips or do you run your iron through a hole drilled in the side of the can ?

I've now got my materials gathered and wanted to give a try but wasn't sure if one way tended to work better than the other ?

Myself I run it threw the side at the bottom. I don't shake the can to much ad pack the chips in to tight as it doesn't seem to work as well..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky