Massive apple score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

neens

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Orange, CT
So I while we were out for my little cousinâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s birthday at the Texas Road house (avoid if possible) I started talking to my uncleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ex-wifeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s new husband. We were talking about how he likes to do pig roasts and the best way to go about preparing it and I asked him if he knew of any places around that sold hickory logs in the area. He asks why I need the wood and I explain the whole smoking thing. He tells me that his company just bought 33 acres of land upstate; he is a contractor/developer, that he is developing into condos and in the middle of it is an old 9 acre apple orchard which he wants cleared. Well we get to talking even more about how I would like the wood and how hard it would be for me to get all the wood out of there with my truck and he offers the used of one of his dump trucks. Now I still have to go check it out to make sure he wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leading me on. Looks like I am going to be set on wood for a while.

Apple is the most forgiving wood out there. Gobble that up and hoard it like there was no tomorrow. It is impossible to have too much smoke with apple.

hope you bought lottery tickets cause sounds like you fell in it
biggrin.gif

what a score
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

How well do you get along with your ex!
eek.gif

Might be just trying to get ya out deep into the woods, Then.......WHAPP! logging accident!
icon_surprised.gif

I got a truck load in january... I'm still cutting it in chunks... gotta 55 gal drum full, 3 -100 lbs. feed bags, a 50 lbs feed bag, a pile, 3 - 5 gal. buckets, gave some to Grammason and smokey's my pet, and still have a pile....

my advice is this... take the branches the size you want the chunks.....
I have the large trunk logs... and where the branches came off... leave knots... lots of work splittin and cutting this stuff up....

the branches about 2-3 inches in diameter were the best.... as far as processing....

even the 6" stuff was pretty nice...

pile in the background

after i dropped a pile off at Gramasons...

if to live anywhere near an orchard... they cut the trees out every few years... something to do with the quality of the harvest... a lot of the time they pile this stuff up and burn it....

Dan we get along with my uncles ex better than we do with my uncle right now.

I was thinking about what you said busted. I wouldnt be taking anything that is too big for me alone but we also have a 33 ton splitter thats old but runs good. I might go up there get as much as I can split it and try to sell some of it. Between under my house and my aunts next door I store 5+ cords covered easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky