maple shavings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom stover

Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Shepherdsville, Ky.
I was out in the shop turning a bowl on my lathe today. I had the shavings flying everywhere when I started wondering if these shavings would be good for cold smoking. They are maple and very dry and spalted. Do you think the spalting would cause any problems using them for cold smoking?   Tom

Got this info from a woodworkers website 

Health Concerns:
Spalted wood may still contain spores, therefore it should always be worked and sanded only when wearing a good dust mask or respirator, and using a dust collector. There is medical evidence that substances from decaying wood are a health threat and some allergic reactions and serious lung diseases have been traced to spores and fungi that inhabit rotting wood.

The effect on an individual woodworker however depends on his/her natural tolerance to the spores and fungi, since some individuals are more likely to react to environmental toxins than others. The woodworker should be careful in selecting the species used for making kitchen utensils, food storage containers or toys an infant might chew on, since heat, moisture and time stimulate the release of the toxins found in some of these types of wood.

Got this info from a woodworkers website 

Health Concerns:
Spalted wood may still contain spores, therefore it should always be worked and sanded only when wearing a good dust mask or respirator, and using a dust collector. There is medical evidence that substances from decaying wood are a health threat and some allergic reactions and serious lung diseases have been traced to spores and fungi that inhabit rotting wood.

The effect on an individual woodworker however depends on his/her natural tolerance to the spores and fungi, since some individuals are more likely to react to environmental toxins than others. The woodworker should be careful in selecting the species used for making kitchen utensils, food storage containers or toys an infant might chew on, since heat, moisture and time stimulate the release of the toxins found in some of these types of wood.
I have turned bowls and other things out of spalted wood for many years and never heard that. That answers my question. Thanks for the info.      Tom

I have turned bowls and other things out of spalted wood for many years and never heard that. That answers my question. Thanks for the info.      Tom
This is taken from finewoodworking.com-

A note on spalted wood and your health: There is a misconception among many woodworkers that working with spalted wood is particularly dangerous. Most fungal spores are about as harmful to a healthy adult as wood dust, so if you sand spalted wood, wear a mask. However, people with immune system disorders should not work with spalted wood.(italics in the original)

They have an article you can download by a scientist specializing in spalted wood(you have to sign up for a free trial to download the article) that they base this statement on.

As for smoking... IMHO why take a chance, find some w/o spalting.

A link to the site if you are interested-

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Materials/MaterialsArticle.aspx?id=32485

I'd avoid, not only spalted wood, but any wood that spells musty or moldy.....it can throw off-flavors.
It seems that there are a lot of commercial chunks and chips that suffer from that problem, likely because they weren't as dry as they should be when packed.

~Martin

Just found these posts but I did discover that, when planing some maple planks I had in the garage, the shavings are plentiful with just two light passes throu the planner. I collect them in a large paper grocery bag and can use them in my amnps tray for hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky