Maple Cured Bacon - 5.6 lbs. Pork Belly w/ qView!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joopster

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
Auburn, IN
This is the first time I am attempting to make bacon.  I have used Morton's Tender Quick and brown sugar.  I plan to flip daily and hot smoke (unless someone can tell me exactly how to cold smoke without risking getting people sick) at 225 over apple.

Here are some pics to get started.

Bearcarver has a nice "how to" on his page for just exactly this.  Check him out, gives TQ amounts as well as times to cure.

Richard

Ok so I am taking it out. Do I rinse off and dry off? Let rest in fridge to form pellicile?

ok.. so 10 days for the cure ?? rinse well... slice a few pieces for taste test (fry them up)... if to salty soak in fresh water... change water every 30 minutes... after 1 hr fry test again... keep doing this until it's to your liking... dry with paper towels ... put any seasonings on that you plan on using... set on rack with drip pan under.. refrigerate for a day or so to form pellicle... cold smoke (or warm smoke, not hot) ... slice .. then send my way.. :biggrin:

I patted dry and it's on a rack on the counter to dry.  What seasonings would you all recommend? Just black pepper, onion and garlic?

I smoke mine for 12 hours.

What smoker and temps are you going to use?

Cold smoke then?

I would start at 12 hours. Alot of people go more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky