Making beef ribs first time this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
A few weeks ago I got lucky and dealed with my local Myiers to get some beef ribs for just a $1lb since they expired that day and I cleaned them out of all of them. They have then marked at Choice Beef back ribs. I think they are short ribs. They are only about 3/4 inch thick and about 4-5 inches long and in a long slab over a foot long. Since I have not had much luck with pork ribs I want to try and get these right on Sunday.

What I am wondering what is the best way to cook these and do you have any tips? From reading on this board I did find one mistake I did and that was not pulling that thin skin to the back rib. So I know to do that now. I am just wondering what else I need to do and so I make them wet or do you dip them? To be honest up north I have never had beef ribs let a lone make them. Pork is the very big thing by me.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=742

When I read this post it make me wonder what temp should I cook these to? I do not want to over cook them.

Thanks for any tips or ideas. Right now I just pulled the ribs out of the deep freezer.

Well I did try them today and they came out all right. I did the "Best Rib Rub" rub and I found it to be a little to much on the meet. Just took away from the meet.

When I pulled the membrain I thought I had it all and that the thin layier on it should stay I was wrong. I needed to pull it all off. I did smoke them a litte to much to.

The meet was a little dry I think the rub caused part of this. It was a little tough but not to bad. We were able to eat it right off the bone. I did do a 2-2-1 way of cooking it. After doing this I am realy wondering if I should have maybe tried a 3-2. When I pulled it out of the foil they looked just great and they were at about 155 when I pulled them.

I just have to try a differnt rub and if I do not want to mop then I will do the foil again. For my first time doing beef ribs I guess I did not do to bad. No one used BBQ sause and no knives or forks. Hey at least they are eatable. I just have to figure out a few things to get them down.

I just have no idea why rubs are being hard for me to get.

Hi Veener-
Don't give up on finding the perfect rub for your tastes. It took me a few trys to get mine down right. It was always too spicy or too salty for our tastes but once I got it diled in it's made for some pretty good suppers. Things that help are to definatly write down what you put in and how much of it you used. This will help you adjust for what didn't work. The other problem I had first starting out was the need to put tons of rub on everything when sometimes all it needs is a sprinkle. So don't lose heart and like you said at least they were edible!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky