Made up my mind ... kinda

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevetheteacher

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Pennsauken, NJ
I got myself all confused over what I wanted to smoke on Friday, so I made a decision of sorts. Chicken, it is. I'm thinking chicken breasts mostly because I saw some in my grocer's freezer.

Are these somewhat easy for a newbie (second time smoker)?

What internal temp. should I attempt?

What external temp.?

How long should I smoke them for?

Thanks again!!!

I'd recommend brining or injecting your chicken breast.  That is the hardest part of the bird to smoke because it's so lean.  It may get somewhat dry if you are just doing the breast alone.  I usually smoke whole chickens, or wings, or quarters and thighs.  I also cook to an IT of 165 then pull it.

You can also wrap them in bacon or drape bacon over the top of the breasts to help them from drying out.

Pre frozen chicken breasts are best done on the grill at higher temps. You can still smoke them but you'd want to do them at a higher pit temp, say 325-350. Cook them until they hit an IT of 165. You can start them frozen, and that will help with retaining the moisture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky