Made Pepperoni snack sticks with BearCarvers Bearloaf recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rich-

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Ocean Shores, Washington
After consulting with Bearcarver, I used his Bearloaf recipe and made my first attempt at making his Bearloaf into snack sticks and it turned out great.

He had his recipe listed for a 12 1/2 pound batch of meat, I cut it down to make a 2 pound batch, My only problem is my math, I didn't exactly get the amount of Tender Quick cut to the correct amount and put to much TQ in as I should have.

Getting past the salty taste, it came out really good.                                                                                                                    

This is what I started with 1.13# 80/20 ground beef and 3 OZ of my home made pork sausage, I wanted to round the meat off to 2 pounds.

My dry spices

Wet ingredients

Dry and wet ingredients all mixed together

Meat and seasoning all mixed and ready for a rest in fridge over night.

Used my Jerky cannon to stuff into 21 MM colagen casing. This was after an overnight rest in the fridge.

Smoked using cherry pellets in my Amsn-p to an IT of 156* and then a cold bath.

I want to thank Bear carver for his recipe and guidence, For this batch I must overlook the excess salty taste, but will soon make a larger batch and will read the recipe better to avoid my mistake I made with this batch.

Thanks for looking and Thanks to Bear carver and all the fine people here on SMF: Rich-

Nice Job, Rich!!!

I just found this-----That won't last long-----Better make a whole lot more!!!

Bear

Thanks Bear, and Thank you for suggesting your recipe, I have been trying to get a flavor in a snack stick without using a seasoning kit for quite while. With your recipe, I'm pretty sure I have found what I have been looking for. I am taking out enough meat from the freezer today to make a 6# batch early next week.

I 'm thinking of using 4 # of GB and 2 # of ground pork in the next batch, I have always like a little pork in my snack sticks.

I will be sure to put the correct amount of TQ in tho, I should have put picture of a cross section view of one of the sticks cut, but forgot to do that but the texture, firmness and all that I have been trying for seems to be there.

I am very anxious to taste more with the correct TQ in it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks Again: Rich-

Kat, that recipe of Bear Carver's is Really, Really good.

After I did my initial mix of the meat and the seasoning, I took a small pattie and fried it up, I knew right then that this is some very good eating. Man O Man it is good.

Rich-

Thanks Bear, and Thank you for suggesting your recipe, I have been trying to get a flavor in a snack stick without using a seasoning kit for quite while. With your recipe, I'm pretty sure I have found what I have been looking for. I am taking out enough meat from the freezer today to make a 6# batch early next week.

I 'm thinking of using 4 # of GB and 2 # of ground pork in the next batch, I have always like a little pork in my snack sticks.

I will be sure to put the correct amount of TQ in tho, I should have put picture of a cross section view of one of the sticks cut, but forgot to do that but the texture, firmness and all that I have been trying for seems to be there.

I am very anxious to taste more with the correct TQ in it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks Again: Rich-

That's Great !!!   Glad you like it !!

I'm glad you used the "Bear Loaf" mix!!

The first of my series of ground meat Step by Steps I made was the "Beef Sticks"-------Good but needed more spice.

Then I did my "Bear Logs"----Better but my Son said needed more Heat.

Then I made the Bear Loaf-------Just Right.

So that became my best mix, but it can be made into Sticks, Logs, or Loaves.

Don't let me miss your next batch!!

Bear

Hi David, I put the snack sticks in the smoker with smoker temp Q 140 degrees and left at that temp for about 30 minutes, Untill there was no dampness on the casing, then i began ramping the temp up about 10 to 20 degrees untill I hit smoker temps of about 190. This took close to 5 hours.

I pulled sticks and cold water bathed at 156 IT. I left them in the cold water until the IT came down to 96 degrees, then wiped them dry with a paper towel and in the fridge for an overnight rest.  Except for them being to salty, They really taste great.

My next batch which I have the meat thawing as we speak will be made with better attention paid to the M T Q amount I put in.

Rich-

Good Morning Night smoker, I too have used one of Bear carver's recipes to tweak and make into snack sticks. I have used his Bear Loaf.

I have added a little Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, a pinch of MSG, to mention some of what I did. I do not have the recipe that I developed from Bear's in front of me, but I will say that what I come up with is some darn awesome snack sticks and I owe it all to Bearcarver.

I have wanted to get away from buying the seasoning kits, and with Bears help, I have done just that. No more season kits for me.

Rich-

Good Morning Night smoker, I too have used one of Bear carver's recipes to tweak and make into snack sticks. I have used his Bear Loaf.

I have added a little Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, a pinch of MSG, to mention some of what I did. I do not have the recipe that I developed from Bear's in front of me, but I will say that what I come up with is some darn awesome snack sticks and I owe it all to Bearcarver.

I have wanted to get away from buying the seasoning kits, and with Bears help, I have done just that. No more season kits for me.

Rich-
Thanks Rich!!

I started out using some LEM kits, and a Venison Bacon mix from High Mountain, and they were all too bland, so I looked for recipes using TQ. I figured the best place to look was in my Morton's Home Curing Book.  I took their Pepperoni Recipe, and worked on that until I got the one you guys & I like.

I thought about adding some Pork, but I'm so much of a Beef Hound I never did. When one of you guys changes the meat from Beef to Beef/Pork, give me a holler so I don't miss it. If I'm ever in good enough shape to do some, I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Bear

Will let you know bear, if it wasn't for you I never would have attempted logs, loaves, or sticks. Maybe later this week i"ll make a batch next week is my sons rehearsal dinner and the guys would love them.

Will let you know bear, if it wasn't for you I never would have attempted logs, loaves, or sticks. Maybe later this week i"ll make a batch next week is my sons rehearsal dinner and the guys would love them.
That's great!!

I enjoy helping others to get started. It's only the first couple that are hard. I've been there too.

Thanks,

Bear

Good Morning Bear,

I have made your Bear Loaf for a starting base and tweaked it to this.

3# ground beef

2# ground pork butt

1 Tablespoon each of all the following

Black Pepper

Red Pepper flakes

Cayenne Pepper

Mustard seed

crushed fennell

crushed anis

Garlic powder

onion powder

1 1/2 teaspoons  MSG

1/2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning

2 1/2 Tablespoon  MTQ

2  OZ Soy sauce

2 OZ Worcestershire

4 OZ water

Like you, I had been using and trying LEM kits, But I like what I have come up with from your bearloaf way, way better. 

I am here to say, I do not like the LEM collagen casings, I Opted for casings that I bought from Butcher n Packer. The casing from Butcher n Packer, shrinks up around the meat and has a nice snap to it when bitten.

Thanks again, Rich-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky