Macadamia wood smoke

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by johnyd, Mar 20, 2011.

1. johnyd

johnyd Smoke Blower

has anyone ever used this for smoking, I'm doing my 1st attempt at cheese and just for double jepoardy using a wood i have not used before!

2. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Aloha J,

I live close to  a macadamia nut orchard and the owner lets me have all the wood I want for my Smokes.  The the wood gives off a very subtle nutty  smoke and I've used it for smoking ribs, marlin, and wild pig.   I think it will do well with cheese. 

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. johnyd

johnyd Smoke Blower

Cool! I guess I'll know for sure in a few hrs, only sliced a couple of chunks 1/2 " thick, 2" x 3" so I dont think it will need more than 2 hrs

4. johnyd

johnyd Smoke Blower

OOH the flavour just goes on and on! didnt think a piece of colby could be so flavourfull!

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow, all the exotic woods you guys get. Around here the only wood that is plentiful is oak.

6. And those ugly ass pine trees Al. LOL.

7. johnyd

johnyd Smoke Blower

Exotic....lol ... just wait til i start on about using Pohutukawa wood! richest most flavoursome smoke around.

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well if you ever come to Florida on vacation, bring us a suitcase full so we can see for ourselves.