Love to smoke however........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrdr653

Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
I have a Landmann vertical gas smoker and no matter the the outside temp the smoker does not get below 234-240 degrees. I do not have against wall or in the sun. Could this be the problem of the regulator? Help please, Love to smoke...

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my GOSM when I first got it. I installed a "Needle Valve" and filled the water pan with sand and then I could maintain down to 185*, I wanted to go lower for jerky so I put in a smaller burner and now I can go down to 135*.

When you get a minute swing by "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome, Thanks!

how much sand and do you still add water to the water pan? Thanks for the advice and I love the site!!!

how much sand and do you still add water to the water pan? Thanks for the advice and I love the site!!!
Fill the entire water pan with sand. Cover it with tin foil and forget about it. Change the tin foil when needed. No water is required, here's some good reading for you:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/134823/water-pans-do-you-use-them-and-why

As Dave said add the Needle valve and use it to regulate the temp. I leave the control on the smoker on high and use the needle valve to control the temp. I can get down to 130* when there's no wind, but it takes a bunch of baby sitting for temps lower than 160*.

Sand will give you "higher" and more consistent temps than water and is the reason I use it during colder weather, while water can still chilled and evaporate.  I would concentrate on your regulator more and stick with water.  Wind as some said can be an issue when you reduce the flame very low.

Thank you all, needle valve will be ordered and it now play ground sand....hopefully the cats did not get to the sand first...

Happy Smokin to you all :)

I installed that very needle valve on my gas smoker and still use the stock water pan -- as long it isn't too windy I can hold the temp around 100-110F for the first dehydrate cycle of jerky.  The flame is so low however it's sensitive to wind.

Otherwise I can consistently hold it at about 135F and up just using the needle valve modification.  I am going to do a couple more mods as my issue is flare-ups using wood chunks.  Lots of great ideas on this site.

Thank you for the advice and check out the recipes and the rubs section...OMG some good ones!!!

Thank you all, needle valve will be ordered and it now play ground sand....hopefully the cats did not get to the sand first...
Happy Smokin to you all :)

Keep the door closed while smoking and you shouldn't have any problems with cats....:laugh1:

Keep the door closed while smoking and you shouldn't have any problems with cats....
laugh1.gif
LOL!!! Thanks I will surely keep it closed....
thumb1.gif

I had the same problem with my GOSM when I first got it. I installed a "Needle Valve" and filled the water pan with sand and then I could maintain down to 185*, I wanted to go lower for jerky so I put in a smaller burner and now I can go down to 135*.

When you get a minute swing by "Roll Call" and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome, Thanks!
Bought the needle valve and installed, I have no problem getting temps to maintain at 225* thank you for the advice. Next will be the sand will be doing that tomorrow after work...and smoking this weekend again...
439.gif

Lets us know how much Higher your temps are with the sand.
Added a needle valve and filled the water pan with play sand. Smoked a beef tenderloin roast on Fathers Day and set it and checked a few times and the temp stayed constant at 225 for 4 hours. Thanks all for the input and suggestions...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky