Love Bacon-Can't MakeIt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I prefer a dry rub cure also...    The brine method is easier for folks starting out to make a great bacon..   Until you can get a grams scale to accurately weigh small quantities...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...-etc-be-safe-weigh-your-stuff-and-be-accurate

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/239348/brine-curing-and-adding-a-cola-to-the-brine

My bacon method...  That Bride says is the bestest ever...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...t-dry-brined-bacon-aug-2015-8-23-money-update

Lurking.

I prefer a dry cure.

You can purchase a maple flavored cure, which is what I like to do.  You can also slather maple syrup on it before you cold smoke it.  In fact, I'd add another mess about halfway through the process.

One quick question my wife would like me to ask. Is there anyway to do a maple bacon?
Yes....  Get the cure from a reputable supply house...   that's what I do....  makes great bacon...

https://www.waltonsinc.com/blue-ribbon-maple-bacon-cure

Use 2% on the meat...  9 grams per pound of meat...    the 5# bag for $15 will cure 250 #'s of bacon...   or other meats...

After you try it, you may have to add more salt...  That salt is about 1.8%....  some think that's a bit low...  but at least it's not too much....

Yes....  Get the cure from a reputable supply house...   that's what I do....  makes great bacon...
Dave is spot on - you must buy the cure from a reputable supplier. When I had the first batch of cure I bought off the Internet (e-bay) lab tested, its contents were not even close to what it claimed on the label. If they can provide you a lab test certificate then that is even better.

Ok, so one more question. I've gotten a lot of help and information today a noticed using just about the same cure some people do the cure seven days and done fourteen. Why the difference for as said, basically the same recipe?

Ok, so one more question. I've gotten a lot of help and information today a noticed using just about the same cure some people do the cure seven days and done fourteen. Why the difference for as said, basically the same recipe?

You cant over cure, BUT you can under cure. A couple extra days definitely won't hurt.

Within reason, you can't cure too long. I also go for a rest after smoking.
Within reason this is perfectly true. The cure will penetrate a certain depth each day until it reaches the centre (the exact rate that is quoted varies slightly by member) and so the thickness of the meat being cured dictates the minimum time required to cure. The meat will actually vary in thickness but to avoid unnecessary complexity in the method, as we know roughly the thickness of the meat we are going to cure we can plan for the thickest. I usually smoke back bacon (but also smoke belly too) and rather than have different cure times for each cut of pork I simply cure them both for 10 days.

You can tell when a piece of pork is under cured as you can see the lighter colour ring in the centre once it has been cut. Unfortunately when you have cut it to find out it is usually too late.

Dave has a couple of great photos that show what under cured pork looks like. Maybe he will post them again so you can tell what to look for.

Last edited:
Keep good notes, it's like a science experiment.

I suggest smoking both cures at the same time.  I also suggest dividing the 2 cures into smaller pieces.  Smoke them all for 1 amount of time.  Label and put 1 piece of each in the fridge. Then smoke the remaining pieces again for the same amount of time.  Repeat until you run out of bacon.

This way you get to try bacons with different smoke times fairly close to each other.  This method also works if you are trying different recipies (seasonings and the like).  

I have never made belly bacon, but have done my fair share of Canadian bacon.  I normally smoke the bacon at night.  I put it in the smoker with a full AMNPS and in the morning I put the bacon back into the fridge.  I'll do this 3 or 4 nights in a row.  So the CB will have between 30 & 48 hours of thin smoke.  Everyone's tastes are different.  You need to decide what works best for your situation.

Don

You're getting great advice on how to make good tasting bacon. I've also made some tough bacon.

I don't think your process is making it tough.

Belly, like butt, is not a tender cut. Look at the recipes to make braised pork belly. They use time and moisture to break down the collagen in the meat and slowly render some fat and develop browning.

Commercial bacon might also be mechanically tenderized in addition to small cure injection needles which have the same effect. Cutting against the grain is another form of mechanical tenderization mentioned by others. I find it difficult to find the direction of the grain sometimes after smoking. A trick I've seen brisket cooks use is to make a notch before rubbing and smoking to indicate the direction.

As meat ages it naturally tenderizes. That is one of the benefits of dry aged steak, but also hams and other cuts of pork.

What does all of this mean? You might have just gotten some tough pieces of belly, but there are a few additional things you can do to get a more tender result.

1. Age the belly. As others have said, take your time at every step.

2. Use a jaccard to get some mechanical tenderization. It might help the cure penetrate too.

3. Cold smoke the bacon to get the smoky flavor without losing moisture.

4. Sous vide the whole hunk of smoked bacon. This is used when cooking uncured belly to get a tender, yet moist result. Something like 36 hours at 145 should give nice results. Cool it in an ice bath when done. Then refrigerate and partially freeze before trying to slice. I've made seriouseats.com sous vide pork belly porchetta and it is life changing. Sliced thin and cooked like bacon, it makes an amazing sandwich. It shows how tender yet crispy belly and bacon can be. I've got an unsliced chunk of bacon I'm going to try this on today now that I think about it.

If you don't have sous vide, you can improvise and try cooking your bacon in a pan or sheet tray with just enough water to cover it. Once the liquid cooks off, the browning and crisping happens just like normal. I've found this helps when I've noticed a batch was tough. The more water and longer it takes the better.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kendec65
4. Sous vide the whole hunk of smoked bacon. This is used when cooking uncured belly to get a tender, yet moist result. Something like 36 hours at 145 should give nice results. Cool it in an ice bath when done. Then refrigerate and partially freeze before trying to slice. I've made seriouseats.com sous vide pork belly porchetta and it is life changing. Sliced thin and cooked like bacon, it makes an amazing sandwich. It shows how tender yet crispy belly and bacon can be

Copied this recepie will be trying that one[emoji]128077[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky