Looking for a new Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bixter1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
The smoker I have now is terrible to say the least. Thin, leaky and rusty. When I think about it, I'm 2 out of those 3 myself
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
. Anywho I need a real smoker. I really like wood burning so I'd like to find a decent smoker. Something that can put a couple of briskets or butts on without tending to the fire every 15 minutes.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

-Bix

A couple of questions..........

1) How much do you want to spend

2) How much do you want to cook

Lang's are great smokers to say the least. Reverse flow. www.pigroast.com
I suggest the patio #48. Not too steep on the pocket book.

Also, check out www.bigdrumsmokers.com.

And if all else fails, there is a sticky with tons of web sites for pit builders. It is in the "General Discussion" area, Sticky "Pit Builder List"

Hope ya find one you like!

Bixter,
I would urge you to check out the WSM. It's a quality wood burner and lots of folk use them ..... even in competition. I have a Silver Smoker and a GOSM. I really enjoy both of them but I'd put the WSM up against either of them. Give it a look.

I just bought a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker. Check it out at www.masterbuilt.com. (I may not be a purist, but I am a cook!) I got the 40" stainless model, the only place I could find it was Sams Club, and because it's the off-season, it was marked down. This thing is awesome!! Set it and forget it, except for occasionally adding wood chips. Curious to know what others think.

Liz

Follow up:
I went with a stainless bradley digital 6 rack smoker. I had a thin tin can before so I went the complete opposite. I love the conveince of it. It's really cheating though. I load it up with wood (can go 10 hours or so) set the temperature and walk away. I can get a good smoke going in there. The smoke only run is also very nice. I've made some great fish in there. The mechanics have been rock solid and I never had an issue with it not working. It's much smaller than my old wood burning one and I can load it up with meat. I did 4 butts and a brisket the other day and still had room for more. The selection of woods is nice too. I like stacking different flavors in the wood chute.

The 2 issues are the edge where the door meats (seals) is not stainless and the paint has chipped away and some rust has started. I need to call them on that. The other thing is the heat element isnt the strongest. During the winter (I smoke outside) it was hard to get 250 degees in there. Since I typically smoke at 220 its not that bad.

All in all im very happy with it.. I guess it's about 6 months now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky