Locally farmed or store bought

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We are rural here, in north central Florida, which warrants the way we do it.

We purchase a black angus calf for $50.00 to $100.00.
It that price, send all you can get your hands on.  Here a spring newborn calf will run you about $300-350/hd.  500#ers are going for about $800/hd and up from there.

In response to the original question, We butcher our own beef and pork every year.  As far as cuts of beef are concerned, it's really about the same either way, roasts may be a little better off the farm but other than that for cuts it's not enough to worry about.  Hamburger though is a completely different subject.  With our hamburger from the farm it's red not gray.  When we cook it when teh blood comes out the top it's time to flip it.  Had to buy hamburger once and was waiting for this to occur.  My wife, who grew up in town, wanted to know why I was burning the meat, I told her I was waiting for the blood, she said it'd never happen.  Taste also is worth the effort. 

The pork is fairly comparable, but we do it all at once as we need the ground pork for our sausage. 

It that price, send all you can get your hands on.  Here a spring newborn calf will run you about $300-350/hd.  500#ers are going for about $800/hd and up from there.

In response to the original question, We butcher our own beef and pork every year.  As far as cuts of beef are concerned, it's really about the same either way, roasts may be a little better off the farm but other than that for cuts it's not enough to worry about.  Hamburger though is a completely different subject.  With our hamburger from the farm it's red not gray.  When we cook it when teh blood comes out the top it's time to flip it.  Had to buy hamburger once and was waiting for this to occur.  My wife, who grew up in town, wanted to know why I was burning the meat, I told her I was waiting for the blood, she said it'd never happen.  Taste also is worth the effort. 

The pork is fairly comparable, but we do it all at once as we need the ground pork for our sausage. 
I have to admit, I do have a special deal for the ones I buy. Normally they run about $200.00 give or take $50. depending on the individual farmer.

You are absolutely right on the hamburger. No comparison to store bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky