Learn Something New Everyday!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Stopped by my favorite meat market yesterday and while I was perusing through all their goodies I came across a cut I had never heard of or seen before. "Hanging Beef Tender" is what is called. I asked the butcher about it and he told me it was a mucsle that hangs from the diaphragm and never gets used. Found this definition from another site:

"The hanger steak, or hanging tenderloin, is the thick strip of meat that is located on the underside of the carcass and hangs between the last rib and the loin. It is actually part of the diaphragm. Like the skirt steak, it is very flavorful and it can be prepared with almost any type of cooking method, but it should be marinated first if using a dry heat cooking method such as grilling or broiling. The hanger steak is also known by the following names:
  • Hanging Tenderloin
  • Hanging Tender
  • Butcher's Steak "
I'm gonna have to go pick up a few and try them out I think. Anyone here try them and if so any prep suggestions? Thanks!

Man that sounds like a pretty good cut. I would go to your local carnceria and get some of their "marinado" marinade in spanish that they use for carne asada. then let it sit in the wonderful juice for a hour minimum and grill that bad boy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky