Lean Pork trimmings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
Hey All,

So I'm looking to make Brauts from the Kutas book and I ahve 2 questions:

1) the recipe calls for "Lean pork trimmings" along with a butt and veal. What would qualify for lean pork trimmings?

I read this thread : http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/69582/pork-trimming

but I'm wondering what I'll get if I go to the grocery store butcher and ask.

2) the recipe (on page 195 of the altest edition) is for an emulsified version of brauts, but he talks about a chunky version. to make the chunky version would I just grind, and mix in ingredients?

Thanks for the help, especially on the trimmings.

Casings jsut arrived so I'm waiting for time (on call this weekend), my BBQ, and some silicone spray to start this sausage thing off!

Also Mace.... I forgot to order mace, HEH!

Several ways to get lean pork trimmings.  You could carefully cut up a butt and separate lean and fat, but that would be a pain.  You could use a pork loin roast, but that would be expensive.  I would ask for a pork sirloin roast.  Very lean and much less expensive than the loin roast. You could probably find one on sale for less than $2.00 per lb. For the regular brats you can grind and mix as with any other sausage.

Good luck and good smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky