Leaf lettuce

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by c farmer, Oct 7, 2014.

1. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have abunch of leaf lettuce that is going to go to waste with the cold weather coming.

Can I vac seal it and either put it in the fridge or freeze it?

Dont know if anyone has ever done this.

2. I'm going to give you a bump here. But I really think your going to loose crop of lettuce. After freezing it will be nothing but a mushy mass of ................yuk. But that is my opinion.

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Adam I know of no known way to keep lettuce. I'd say feed it to your cows!

4. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

How long are you wanting to keep it ?

5. c farmer

As long as it will stay good.    1 month?  maybe 2

6. dirtsailor2003

Try putting it in (roots on) in a tub with water. Think Hydroponics. I know if you put celery in a cup of water it will keep fresh for a long time. You can grow lettuce from the butt ends if you put them in water. I have done that with romaine.

7. c farmer

I also thought of digging it up and planting it in a tub to go inside.

I have a 10ft row of it.

8. dirtsailor2003

That's probably your best bet. If you have good temp inside and enough light you could have lettuce all year.

9. handymanstan

handymanstan Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

I keep lettuce in a vac container in the fridge.  It stays fresh for 4 to 5 weeks that way. 

Stan

10. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Every year my mother grows lettuce, a LOT of lettuce…… She just likes to see stuff grow…….All of a sudden, I will find a HUGE zipper bag in the frig filled with lettuce…. She will wrap it in a wet paper towel…… I’m the only one that will eat it, so it’s not something I can eat all at once, but it will last for several weeks like that for me……BTW the hydroponics works also…. I have a buddy that has a 4’ x 8’ shelf set-up with PVC piping to grow lettuce. He is picking enough for a salad for his family at least 2-3 times a week…….  SB