Last weekends results w/q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jakesmith

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Hayward, SD
Well last weekend was a few firsts for me. First time smoking with my new mod (Afterburner-H). First time trying a fatty. First time smoking ABTs. And first time posting the results here.

First the back story, I had planned on doing a day of smoking on Sun. However, due to weather on Sat, had to do something Sun afternoon. So I got up at 5:00 AM so I could get the meat on the smoker at 6:00 and have it done roughly by 12:00. I put on two pork butts, two spare ribs (cut st. louis style another first!!) some ABTs and later a fatty.

113.JPG

After sitting in the fridge over night.

115.JPG

This just after taking the ABTs off the smoker (about 2 hrs into smoking)

Alas, I didnt take any pics of the final product. I was in a rush to get the meat off because I was late. When I got home I was in a rush to get the pork pulled and on the table.

Needless to say it was very good and enjoyed by all.

The experience I had with the afterburner mods was very positive. It was really simple to install. Once I started smoking the value on the regulator was easy to use and have very prescise (?) control. I could set the temp and my smoker would stay with 10 degrees of what I wanted. Pretty good for me considering I'm used to charcoal and wood smoking.

I did notice I need to fab a mod for a buffer plate between the smoke box to keep the temp more consistant in the cooking chamber.

Overall I had a successful weekend and many more to come.

Good job, looks great!

Looks good, I would like to know how ya got the butts done in 6 hrs though, and I might offer a request for you to downsize your pics before you upload them to your file next time. Saves us all from scrolling back and forth to read your post. This can be done on your PC before you sent them to photoshop or what ever server you are using.

Keep up the good work, alot of firsts for you on this one!

Capt not sure what he did but I have read in other forums on quick butts being done in 350 range. Most results and comments was less bark and smoke ring. End result was the same for meat texture and pull ability.

Sorry about the pic size, I did this last night before I went to bed so was trying to get it done.

As for the 6 hrs, I neglected to tell you the final thing. After I got the butts up to 165 degrees I wrapped them in foil and then put them in the oven at 250 degrees. I had to leave and couldnt finish them in the smoker. When I got back home, the butts were at about 200 and ready to be eaten. Sorry about the confusion.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Great job jake. Don't ya just love to see your smoking skills coming together?!? Give yourself a pat on the o'l back, I'll give you points!

OK Jake, thats makes better sense!

Justsmoke, I have yet to hear about being able to smoke a butt at 350 and it turn out as good as the low and slow butts, I highly doubt it,If it was possible, we all would be doing them that way to save 6-7 hrs for sure.
icon_smile.gif
Not disagreeing with what ya heard, just not sure of if there is any truth to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky