KY Blues Man checking in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kybluesmanluvsbbq

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
41 y/o computer programmer by day, blues guitar player by night, ever questing for the perfect Q on weekends. I've lived in KY, then CA for 6 years when I was in the Marines, then Alabama for 10 years, now back home to KY. I LOVE BBQ!!! Pulled pork, ribs, and brisket. Love it, love it, love it!!!

A couple of years ago I came to the conclusion that living in Northern Kentucky, basically Cincinnati Ohio, I just wasn't going to find good BBQ. The "famous" stuff around here is a restaurant called Montgomery Inn. They boil their ribs and they cook their pork first in the oven then they simmer it in the sauce. It comes out like mush. The people here seem to love it. I think it's blasphemy. Anyway I decided that I was going to have to make it myself. While living in the south I got hooked on pulled pork and vinegar-based sauce.

I started off cooking over indirect heat on a weber kettle. Then I moved on to an ECB. Now I've finally purchased a char-broil silver smoker. I know it's not top of the line but the spirit of BBQ is poor people taking cheap cuts of meat and cooking it in homemade grills and smokers. I'm not a yuppie-Q kind of guy.

I've been happy with my silver smoker. I never have trouble keeping the heat up, as I've heard others complain about. If anything, I have trouble keeping the heat low enough. I still consider myself a noob to smoking my own Q and am always hunting new techniques, recipes, etc.

My ideal weekend is having my buddies that play bass and drums come over, get the smoker rolling and the beer on ice, start jamming on some Stevie Ray Vaughan and old school blues tunes while tending the Q.

Anyway, great site! I look forward to making some good friends and learning everything I can about BBQ'ing here.

Great intro. Welcome to the SMF. These folks will help you improve. (I am partial to Que from extreme western KY - Paducah and west)

Welcome to the SMF family. This forum is great. Lots of smokin smart people here.

Maybe I am reading to much into this,
KY Man has the blues, go figgure that one. And he loves BB Q Do ya have da blues cauz you have KY or u are all out? Ok I done, just ribbin ya, but bb ribs. You got any samples of the Blues you play. I cant get enough.

Went to school at Murray and live just across the river in Missouri. It's funny how localized Q gets. In KY by the time you get to Owensboro it is completely different than what you would get in the Paducah area. More of a mush like KyBluesman describes...can't bring myself to eat it. A local restaurant opened selling that stuff, they didn't last long.

Oh yeah---Welcome KyBluesman!

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of good info here. The recipes are really good too. Have fun and happy smoking

Roger that, Trent. Just glad I found info and folks on the SMF to learn how to do it on my own. (Leigh's in Kevil and Starnes in Paducah are the specific spots I grew up on. My cousins like a place in La Center but I can't remember what the name is.)

A big welcome from ronp100343.

Welcome to the SMF family, from 35 miles east of Cincy. Brown county Ohio. Lots of good folk here to learn ya. You will be smoking the way you want in no time. Try Jeff's 5 day course it's free and full of good info.

Welcome Blues Man. I'm just a bit northeast of Louisville myself. I have some friends in Florence that play music on occasion. There's some great info available here and thanks to these guys and gals every smoke I've done so far has been a success. If you have a question just post it and you'll usually get several answers.
Good luck and good smokes.

Maybe in the future they'll have a Blues and BBQ fest at KY Speedway.
If they do I'll see ya there.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

SG

Welcome to the forum BluesMan! Glad to have you here.
Now I've got SRV's Pride and Joy in my head again.....
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky