Kuwait BBQ W/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stacks

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Clinton, MO
Hello to all from the B-utiful Udair Desert Kuwait.
I arrived here in February and immediately got busy for several months. We didn't have time to think about anything but aircraft until mid April... BBQ season
Myself and my NCOIC (Non-Commisioned Officer in Charge) are both BBQ enthusiasts from around the Kansas City area. He is fairly new to the art and while I'm no expert, we couldn't wait to show the contractors who work this site what passes for BBQ where we come from.
My wife back home was gracious enough to mix me up some of my special rub. The hard part was trying to give her ingredients and quantities over the phone. I always use the eyeball/feel method when mixing my rub. She did a great job and sent it via USPS along with some hickory wood and BBQ sauce. I don't personally use sauce, but I didn't want anyone who uses the stuff to have to resort to catsup.
We came accross a large pork shoulder, some spares and babybacks. The grill was as close to a smoker as I could get. Using offset heat worked pretty well. The hard part was keeping the temps in the 225 to 250 range. The outside temp was 100 when I started and by mid afternoon we had a small rain shower so it was hot AND muggy. I spent the day tending the fire in between my usual duties. I started the smoke at 0630 added the ribs at 1300 and pulled everything off at 1730. During the smoke I poured apple juice over the meat. We don't have any Captain Morgan to mix. I tried to convince the Army to allow the good Captain into Kuwait just for this event, but they wouldn't hear it.
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

I let the shoulder rest in a cooler for an hour and pulled. I served the pulled pork on buns with chow hall coldslaw (beggars can't be choosers). Had enough food to feed 15 hungry folks with enough for left overs the next day.
Wanted to thank everyone at SMF; while you may not know it, reading your posts and seeing the q-view is a nice way for us to escape for a while.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The Cooker

The chef (ME)

Almost ready

Plate full O' ribs

GREAT JOB !------"Sir"
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Well deserved------------->>
points.gif

Keep up the good work, and please stay safe!

Bearcarver

pretty darn cool....I would think you wouldn't need any coals over there just close the lid and let it roast...lol...stay safe !
points.gif
for just being over there

I'll bet it would be hard to get the locals to try your goods. It looks great!

Well done, my friend! Thanks to you and your unit for standing the line.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Awesome lookin PIG!! And
points.gif
for your service!
I thank you for your work so I can have the freedom I have!
You troops mean soo much to me! Stay Safe!
Looks like we need to send you a side fire box for that pit!
Thanks Again!
SOB

OUTSTANDING! Great looking smoke. Glad to hear your continuing the passion while your playing in that sand box over there.. Thank you for all you do! Just let me know if you need rub or sauce ingrediants. Be more than happy to send some stuff over there to a SMF warrior!

Great Job on the Que and Thanks for Your Service... Points for BOTH...
points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thank you for doing what you do, and for the sacrifices you and your family have volunteered to make. It's great to see that you can bring a little bit of home with you to the desert.

Thats awesome and I'm sure the others enjoyed it. As has been said Thank You and the others for your service. If you want supplies PM me an address and I'll gladly ship some stuff over.

points.gif
for good looking Q-view and innovation under crap circumstances. Reminds me of when I served my buddies a venison roast that I cooked in an oven in our shipboard foundry one Thanksgiving.

Thanks for what you are doing for us and you and your pals get home soon and safe.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for your service. Food looks great. Im sure it was well received! I have quite a few friends in the Military, and you guys deserve all the thanks in the world.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky