Kiwi Wings - with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akiwiredneck

Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I will re-post some pics that I popped on the EggHead forum - but have since made alterations to the 'magic formula' that makes this work even better.

I dropped the temp a little (closer to 300) and added smoke right from the start - it adds depth to the taste (if that makes sense).  I bumped up the temp towards the end which helped make them nice and crunchy,

I originally wrote this for the Egg, but Im guessing it will work in all smokers - although I dont know if you will acheive the same crispness on the top without popping them under a grill (or broiler I think you call them).

A healthy alternative to deep fried chicken wings:  (as in – zero frying!!!)

1.     Get some chicken wings and rinse them.

2.     Toss in flour, corn flour (for a nice crunchy finish) and paprika.

3.      Leave in the fridge for 1/2 a day to dry out. It would be better to leave them overnight – as this dries the skin more and gets you closer to a fried finish without any frying.

4.     Put them in the smoker with an indirect heat (so put them on a rack on top of a pizza stone or the like and cook them for 30 minutes at 375f.

5.     Open the smoker and turn them over and let them cook for another 20 minutes.

6.     Now comes the ‘hot bit’ - remove them from the BBQ and toss them in sauce.  A traditional sauce would be franks sauce and butter, or you can use a nice Nando’s sauce. Franks has zero calories, but strong flavour.

7.     Put them back in the BBQ (same rack and temp) and leave them for 10 more minutes. 

30, 20, 10 – easy huh?

The end result was nice and crisp on the outside, nice tender and moist inside. 

a2143aa1_IMG_6073.jpg

777cb309_IMG_6074.jpg

It looks great. it will be on my next to do list. i did not see nandos in the USA but we got plenty of it  here .

Sorry Nando's is a chain down here.  Lots of Piri Piri sauces and chicken dishes.

You can make your own:
4 chilli peppers, cleaned and finely chopped
juice of one Lemon
3 cloves of garlic, minced
one tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
one tablespoon Paprika
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Salt
Remove stems and seeds from peppers - take the necessary precautions when handling hot peppers.
Grind and mix all ingredients to a fine paste by hand or use a blender or food processor. If you want to go hotter add ground cayenne pepper of pepper flakes to taste. Cook in a hot frying-pan for a few minutes.
Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator. The flavour will develope over the following week.
Yummy.

Last edited:
Sorry Nando's is a chain down here.  Lots of Piri Piri sauces and chicken dishes.

You can make your own:
4 chilli peppers, cleaned and finely chopped
juice of one Lemon
3 cloves of garlic, minced
one tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
one tablespoon Paprika
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Salt
Remove stems and seeds from peppers - take the necessary precautions when handling hot peppers.
Grind and mix all ingredients to a fine paste by hand or use a blender or food processor. If you want to go hotter add ground cayenne pepper of pepper flakes to taste. Cook in a hot frying-pan for a few minutes.
Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator. The flavour will develope over the following week.
Yummy.
Yes  it started in south Africa by a guy that i know .it is still vary strong here (my wife is addict to Nando's )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky