Kimchi - Quick Hot Pickled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

th_HaHa7_ani.gif

I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN PICKLE PRESS!!

Thanks for the recipe Tom. Followed it to the T and it is spot on hot!
Nice job there DS....glad to see u got off work & cranked out a batch. And, you're right, very tasty stuff. After a few hours in the fridge with the addition of a shake or two of crushed red pepper and a splash of fish juice it was delish. Have some kim chi virgins at the vets club I hit for social hour so will be bringing some in for taste tests and maybe a few converts. This comes together really quick....ez to do more at a moments notice. Thanks again Tom

I have found my pickle press right now temporarily [or maby a handy deal all the time]. Sorry no pic, but what i did when i made this quick version of kimchi was after i sliced the cucumber, i put the slices in a bowl, put a small dish on top of the slices [fit perfect], put a cup upside down on top of the dish, then for weight i put a gallon of water on top of that, and it did the job releasing the juices in a matter of minutes. That's red neck i know but that's how i work sometimes LOL. The quick kimchi turned out great and i ate it on one sitting. Reinhard

Made some more of this wonderfull quick cuke kimchi the other day. This time i didn't realy let my unofficial press give proper time to do the squeeze but they turned out great anyway.

I doubled the recipe using Korean hot pepper.  since this pepper is not as hot as cayenne or red pepper flakes i used 3 tablesoons of the Korean stuff.

Three tabelspoons may seem like a lot of hot pepper but not with the Korean type [or my tastes LOL].  Still trying to find out what type of peppers they use for this.  I also feel this type of pepper gives a much better taste as well. Reinhard

Last edited:
Looks good Reinhard....that Korean pepper is very colorful, love it. Hard to say exactly 'what' variety of pepper it actually is. You will have to go to the Maangchis site to get the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to ask the guy who owns the Korean store where i go to buy this also.  One Korean lady told me a long time ago that there is one or more spices in there mixed in. Dont know if that's true but this pepper does have some flavor.  Anyway if there is such a different pepper, i certainly want to grow some LOL!!!  Maangchi would be a good place to ask as well, Thanks.  Chef i noticed in your pics that you have sliced radish in there with the kimchi.  Dont know if you have tried Daikon radish but i bet you would with this recipe sliced thin.  I'm doing that next time for i use it in regular kimchi. Reinhard

Last edited:
Made some more of this wonderfull quick cuke kimchi the other day. This time i didn't realy let my unofficial press give proper time to do the squeeze but they turned out great anyw

I doubled the recipe using Korean hot pepper.  since this pepper is not as hot as cayenne or red pepper flakes i used 3 tablesoons of the Korean stuff.

Three tabelspoons may seem like a lot of hot pepper but not with the Korean type [or my tastes LOL].  Still trying to find out what type of peppers they use for this.  I also feel this type of pepper gives a much better taste as well. Reinhard
Rienhard, If you and Chef Willie don't back off of the cucumbers, you will cause a spike in the price for the rest of us.

I use the Korean red pepper also, as well as being able to use much more, it is more flavorful than what we usually use.  Last year I bought some pepper plants from a Korean grocery in Spokane.  Got a good mess of peppers, but have not ground them yet.  Hope to get more this year.

I agree with your suggestion on using daikon radishes. Maybe Willie is looking for more heat. He may want to try a few horseradish shavings as well.  The horseradish will help keep the vegies crisp also.

Glad you guy's are enjoying.

How's your new cooler working out for you?

I'm smoking and canning smoked oysters today.  Might be good in kimchi later.

Tom

Thanks for the recipe again Mr. T!!!  I'll reduce demand a notch this year as i'm growing my own cukes in the garden [pickle size] LOL. Until i seen your quick recipe for the cukes i had a recipe from a Korean gal i used, using  pickle sized cukes split and cut in half again.  This one had the overnight salt water soak. Also had sliced daikon, jalapenos, shredded carrots and green onion.  I'm going to try your recipe on the first batch when they get ready [or i get some from the local farmers road side stand].

The kimchi refrigerator will get some use soon. I finaly got the front operation panel sent to me in English by a very nice Korean Lady from LG.  She said for me to call her if i had any more questions. It has two sections to use that can be used for seperate functions [even as a freezer which i probably will use one side for, for now]  It has a variety of fermentation settings, even one for winter kimchi. Also has air circulation. i'll try the horseradish shavings, never tried that. Reinhard

Ok, here is a pic of my Kimchi fridge.

As you can see it has two doors on top. each side can be set at different temps [even used as a freezer].

Here you can see 2 of 8 of the plastic containers that are in there. They are awesome containers with handles on top and sealed clip down covers. There is also a larger one that i'm using for brining right now.

Here is the printed version of the front controls the lady from LG sent me. She is Korean and will help me further if needed [probably will LOL]. This unit will be large enough to make kimchi or krout for the whole neighborhood LOL. Reinhard

Last edited:
i'm going to try this today!
The possibility's are endless when it comes to kimchi. You will find it a very refreshing and healthy side.  Depending on the ingredients, it can become not so quick. 

When using cucumbers in your kimchi, it is best if used within a day or two as cucumbers are not met for long term kimchi storage, they will soon get mushy. 

Let us know how yours turns out.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky