Kielbasa w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mickey jay

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
Had a few hours to spare last weekend and decided to get fancy and throw together a batch of kielbasa.  This recipe is a combination of a few recipes that I was looking at.  Pretty good stuff although I think I'll increase the fat next time.  The way I calculated is the beef was 10%, the pork butt was 25%, and the fat obviously 100% for a final of 26.5% fat content.  I might bump this up next time to 30+%.  Maybe more NFDM as well.

5 lbs pork butt

4 lbs beef chuck

1 lbs pork fat

2 tsp cure #1

4 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp dextrose

1/2 c NFDM

3 tbsp paprika

3 tbsp marjoram

2 tsp allspice

4 tbsp black pepper

5 tsp garlic granules

2 tsp sage

2 tsp coriander

1 c water

Meats all fresh ground w/added pork fat.

All mixed up.

Onto the stuffer..

Into the smoker

1 hour in..  smoke has started

..and at the 3 hour mark.

Need to find a way to maintain this deep red color while in the water bath.

Into the water bath

Hit 154 temp, now into the ice.

Hang to bloom for a couple hours.

..and the cut.  I'm pretty happy with them.  Just perfect for so many great skillet meals.

Looks-Great.gif

I'm sorry to have to tell you this. There is a new rule that all Kielbasa must be tested by a Canadian prior to being served. Don't worry, I'd be happy to perform the service for you.

Disco

Had a few hours to spare last weekend and decided to get fancy and throw together a batch of kielbasa.  This recipe is a combination of a few recipes that I was looking at.  Pretty good stuff although I think I'll increase the fat next time.  The way I calculated is the beef was 10%, the pork butt was 25%, and the fat obviously 100% for a final of 26.5% fat content.  I might bump this up next time to 30+%.  Maybe more NFDM as well.

5 lbs pork butt

4 lbs beef chuck

1 lbs pork fat

2 tsp cure #1

4 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp dextrose

1/2 c NFDM

3 tbsp paprika

3 tbsp marjoram

2 tsp allspice

4 tbsp black pepper

5 tsp garlic granules

2 tsp sage

2 tsp coriander

1 c water

Meats all fresh ground w/added pork fat.

All mixed up.

Onto the stuffer..

Into the smoker

1 hour in..  smoke has started

..and at the 3 hour mark.

Need to find a way to maintain this deep red color while in the water bath.

Into the water bath

Hit 154 temp, now into the ice.

Hang to bloom for a couple hours.

..and the cut.  I'm pretty happy with them.  Just perfect for so many great skillet meals.

Mickey Jay Mickey Jay........that Kielbasa looks off the chain good.  thanks for the recipe.  will be trying this one SOON!  Merry Christmas. Be Blessed,  Josie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky