Kiawe Smoked Thighs on the Mini With BBB Broccoli Salad !!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, decided to fire up the mini with some KBB & Kiawe wood.... I'd like to thank Case for the first Kiawe post I seen & had to try it.... I'd also like to thank an anonymous friend for helping me out !

Let's get this party started !

:bluesbros:

Tossed in some rub !

On the mini !

Thighs off the mini !

Wife's broccoli salad with BBB ! This stuff rocks ! :xrocker:

Plated shots....

Thanks for lookin all !

Looks great. What kind of flavor does that wood add.

I need more info on that brocc. salad.

Thanks Adam, it's a real mild mesquite type flavor & it's really good ! Thumbs Up

I'll get the wife's recipe on the salad & let ya know !

Nice looking plate!

Kiawe is suppose to be a milder version of mesquite and goes great with everything. Most people here won't smoke with anything else.

Nice looking chicken! Being 6000 miles east of you, I'm guessing I'll never see Kiawe wood here. It sorta sounds like it is to mesquite what pecan is to hickory, all the good flavor without the "bite".
Have a great weekend!

Those thighs look great. Your wife's salad looks good too. Don't know how I missed this yesterday. Great job!
:points1:
- Ryan

Nice looking chicken! Being 6000 miles east of you, I'm guessing I'll never see Kiawe wood here. It sorta sounds like it is to mesquite what pecan is to hickory, all the good flavor without the "bite".
Have a great weekend!

Thanks Md, ya know that's the perfect comparison right there.... Appreciate ya stopping by !

looks great...nuthin' like a juicy thigh......well done.....Willie

Thanks Chef, appreciate it... I think thighs are my fav ! :biggrin:

Nicely done!!  I also would like that recipe for your wife's salad!!  Reinhard

Thanks Reinhard, I will post her salad recipe.... She said she'd write it down today, then I'll get it posted.... It's real tasty !

Looks Great, Justin!!
drool.gif

I've been a Thigh Man all my life!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

The Mrs made a Great looking addition to your meal too!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Nice Job!!--------------------
points.gif

Bear

Those thighs look great. Your wife's salad looks good too. Don't know how I missed this yesterday. Great job!
- Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it ! Her salad is awesome...

Last edited:
Looks Great, Justin!!:drool

I've been a Thigh Man all my life!!:icon_rolleyes:

The Mrs made a Great looking addition to your meal too!!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Nice Job!!--------------------:points:

Bear

Thanks Bear, appreciate the kind words.... Thighs are cheaper than wings here, so that's what we usually get !

The wife's salad is one of my all time favs !

Sorry I'm late to the Party, sure wouldn't wanted to miss this one.  Great Job everything looks wonderful  The only thing I see you might have done different was INVITE ME !!

points1.png

Gary

Nicely done!!  I also would like that recipe for your wife's salad!!  Reinhard

- Ryan

Looks Great, Justin!!:drool

I've been a Thigh Man all my life!!:icon_rolleyes:

The Mrs made a Great looking addition to your meal too!!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Nice Job!!--------------------:points:

Bear

Hey all, here's the wife's recipe.... Now please keep in mind this is a baseline recipe as she is a dash of this & pinch of that cook.... Please tweak to your liking !!
Add into a large bowl the following...

--Approx. 4 cups fresh cut broccoli (fresh broccoli is a must in this recipe)
Cut into bite size pieces....

--Approx. 1/2 cup Mayo (I'am guessing you could use Miracle Whip if you don't like Mayo.... Though we've never tried MW)

--Approx. 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, Colby Jack or pepper jack cheese (or a combo of all) ( or your choice of cheese) !

--Approx. 1/2 of a medium red onion slivered or diced !

--Approx. 4-5 slices of fried up Buckboard or belly bacon !

Combine all ingredients, add a dash of pepper & garlic salt, stir & serve !

--To kick it up a little, add a few almond slivers on top !

This recipe is simple, but OHH so goood !

This is by far my favorite salad, hands down.... Hope you all enjoy it as well !

Last edited:
Reactions: kenafein
Sorry I'm late to the Party, sure wouldn't wanted to miss this one.  Great Job everything looks wonderful  The only thing I see you might have done different was INVITE ME !!

Gary

Thanks bud, sure appreciate it ! Your welcome at the table any time ! Thumbs Up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky