Kalbi...Korean short ribs with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oneshot

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2009
West of Chicago
Ok, Kalbi is Korean BBQ'd short ribs meaning they are cross cut and offer more meat, less bone. They are thin cut to allow the marinade to permiate the meat completely. This is an easy, quick bbq done on a grill or smoker.
I've done these countless times on the grill but it's my 1st time on the smoker. So here we go.

Ingrediants:
Kalbi (the short ribs)
Kalbi marinade
Pecan wood

The Kalbi marinade.

The Kalbi (short ribs).

Coating the Kalbi in the marinade.

Into the zip lock bag with all the marinade and into the fridge overnite. I will flip it so it all gets a good soaking of marinade.
(you can also marinade for a couple of hours if ya want it quick)

To be continued this evening for dinner with final Qview.

was stationed in Hawaii 6 years, quite familliar with the short rib,very tasty. They look awesome already,getting hungrier....can't wait for finished Q-view and review!!!!
BTW- LOVE the Vet line in signature....that about sums it up.

Thanks JH, they are some great tasting ribs...And that sig is what made this country great!!!! All the way!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Looks like you're off to a great start.

There are some of us who do not and hopefully will not ever forget what our service men and women have done to protect our country. Thank you and God bless you for your bravery and service.

Those ribs look like they're going to be great!
Have to send this to my brother-in-law when it's finished. He was stationed in S. Korea for a while so I'm sure he will get a kick out of this thread, probably want me to smoke some for him too.

Do you have any idea what special ingredient or ingredients set Kalbi BBQ sauce apart from North American style sauces? Perhaps I could whip up some to try it out.

I love ****ering with sauce recipes.

I'm guessing its hotter than the hubs of hell being Korean!

Oh for pete's sake..... apparently you can't day "D i c k ering around" without the smf police knocking at your doorstep.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Ok, the Grand Finale!!!!!!
And let me just say that I'm slightly pleased.....boy am I pleased!!!!!

The smoker temp is at 250 with a nice thin blue smoke comin outta the stack.

Here is the Kalbi in a strainer draining off the excess marinade.

The rice steamer on and workin it's own magic. (get'em Tiger....lol)

The Kalbi into the smoker for that thin blue voyage.

After 20 minutes at 250* I flipped them over (lookin good).

Ahhhhhhhh, the rice is ready and perfect. And yes, the Kimchi is ready in the fridge.

The Kalbi 20 more minutes after the flip and done. It smells delish!!!!

The fate of the Kalbi, may it's bones rest in peace. lol

These turned out fantastic!!!! The pecan wood added a nice gentle flavor that did not over shadow the original marinade. I would have eaten the bones but they didn't come out to tender....lol

Thanks for lookin at my qviews.....and keep on smokin....
tongue.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

thats a fine looking meal. Glad you unplugged the phone this time
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Man oh man what a great looking smoke. I have to give ya
points.gif

Someone gave a helpful link already. In case that infor is too overwhelming, the basic ingredients in a korean-style meat marinade are:

soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil
often rice wine (cooking sherry works fine)
usually crushed garlic, green onions, sesame seeds

This is not hot at all, although there are some great hot sauces. I normally make this marinade rather than buy it so that I get the flavor I want. The kalbi marinade is alos great on chicken or other cuts of beef (like bul goki).

Have been cooking Korean food for many years (despite my handle for those in the know). It is a fantastic cuisine with some foods like no other. Never smoked kalbi - new to smoking - always grilled over charcoal. It is great, everyone raves about our grilled korean ribs. Bet a smoked version will be even better. Now I know my next smoke.

best to get the kalbi meat cut as in this thread - these will be available at any Korean food store and pretty much any large asian food store.

I have used several recipes and this one is fantastic. It's a two step marinade with an overnight soak in 7 Up. This really does help tenderize the meat. The use of Kiwi and Asian pear also have a tenderizing effect.

Kalbi
Ingredients:
7-up
4-5 lbs korean style short ribs/thin cut flanken
if using regular short ribs, butterfly meat or roll cut leaving the bone attached to about 1/4 inch thickness
3 cups lite soy sauce
1/3 cup of honey
10 cloves garlic crushed
2 Tbls grated ginger (pulp and juice)
6 green onions loosely chopped
1/4 cup dark asian toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 large brown Asian pear, smashed
2 Kiwi's, skinned and crushed

First, marinate the meat submerged in the 7-up over night. This is to tenderize the meat. This really helps

Second, combine rest of the ingredients and marinate the meat again over night. Squish fruit in your hands to get the pulp and juice into the concoction.

Third, cook quickly over VERY hot coals or gas grill. Eat with slivered green onions, soy bean paste, ball of rice inside a lettuce leaf like a lettuce wrap.

Are you telling me those ribs only took 40 minutes or am I missing something? Hell it takes me longer than that just to get the smoker heated & regulated?

LOL....Yep real, the total cooking time was 40 mins., yer not missing anything. They take even less time on a grill with high heat.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

When you grill kalbi the cooking time is far less. Maybe 10-15 min. They are thin and done using a traditional hot and fast cooking method. Don't expect them to be falling off the bone. It ain't going to happen unless you slow braise or smoke them low and slow.

A very awesome job there oneshot. Everything looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky