Just Starting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beauryan freese

Original poster
May 8, 2014
Hi all from Shakopee, MN. Names Beau (Bo). I haven't really done any smoking in my life yet, but I do enjoy to cook and experiment with different flavors. As of right now I don't have a smoker in the traditional sense but I am going to start using the 12" A-MAZE-N Tube in my propane grill. Although I am a n00b when it comes to smoking, rubs, and sauces I am looking forward to this new great experience. 

Hello and welcome from East Texas, great site, lots of good people and information.

Gary S

I am not. I am a complete n00b so I will be learning with help and some trial and error

I am not. I am a complete n00b so I will be learning with help and some trial and error
Cool cool.  Basic gist is that people normally use direct heat when grilling.  Turn the burners on, put meat directly over the flame, and off you go.    When using the grill as a smoker, you want to have indirect heat so that the temperature is fairly even below, above and around the meat. 

Say that you want to smoke at 250 degrees.  If your burners go front to back, turn on the burner on one end, set it to high and put a thermometer on the grill grate on the other side of the grill.   Close the hood and wait and see what temp the chamber gets to.  If it's above 250, then turn that burner down until you zero in on 250.   If the one burner isn't enough, leave it on high and then turn on the next burner and adjust it until you hit the 250.

When it comes time to smoke, put the meat about as far away from the direct heat as you can.   If you had to use a middle burner, you might even put some aluminum foil between the burner and the meat to act as a deflector.

You'll have to play with the tube smoker to see where it works best.  If you have it right over the heat, it might not work properly as the pellets on the bottom side of the tube might all catch fire and it'll put out too much smoke.

If your burners run left to right, it gets a bit trickier, but the same underlying logic applies.   Try to use a single burner if possible and keep the meat as far away from it as you can.    One other trick if your meat is close to the burner is to rotate it during the cook so you get a more equal heating of all the meat.

Hey Beau

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Thank you everyone for the warm welcoming. :) And Demo thank you for your advice. I cant wait to start smoking.

Welcome aboard.  Some excellent information available here,  but be forwarned........you are about to become addicted to smoking like the rest of us.

The search above will get you results on almost anything you want to know.  If not,  just ask.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky