Just starting out and have a few ???

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by schultzy, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Well Ive been working all winter long on welding up a smoker. Its made out of a 225 gallon boiler. It has a 100 lb propane bottle welded perpendicular along the back which is used for the smoke box. It rides on a trailer and is looking pretty good. I have been experimenting all spring long and have been trying several different meats and techniques. If I can figure out how to post a pic I would love for you all to check it out. But anyways I have went a step further and enetred a local rib contest in 3 weeks. Getting kind of nervous. One quick question I have about smoking ribs is do any of you guys wrap your ribs in foil after a few hours to help speed the cooking and keep them tender? I have read of different techniques and was just curious to wjat you do. I have 3 weeks to practice and would love to hear from anyone and everyone. Thanks in advance.

2. wvsmokeman

wvsmokeman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

3. Welcome Schultzy..........all your "Q" questions can be answered here.........[​IMG]

4. jts70

jts70 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

The 3-2-1 method worksd really well. I think that you will find it is the way to go.

5. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome! You have to get those pictures put up! There is a practice picture forum so you can make your attempts there. 3-2-1, definitely practice it though!

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Welcome Schultzy -

I always wrap after about 2-3 hours or so, keep em moist and tender. Pull them out for the last hour and get them basted and firmed up.

7. billyq

billyq Smoking Fanatic

Ditto what Debi says. [​IMG]

8. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome and yes the 3-2-1 method works!