Just Joined

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

q dog

Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Hello All!

My name is John and I'm from Maryland.  I've been lurking on various websites to learn more about smoking and so far have tried boston butts (pulled pork), pork tenderloins, brisket, chuck roasts, whole chicken, and individual piece chicken.  All that I have smoked have been fairly successful with the exception of a London broil.  The pulled pork has been fantastic especially with my own concocted sauce.

I have a WSM 18 inch smoker, the maverick 732 thermometer system along with a thermapen, Pitmaster IQ 110 unit, and a great inventory of a variety of wood for smoke..  I have been very pleased so far with this set-up.

I have 2 questions on my heat source:  I have used Stubbs charcoal and also lump hardwood (currently Rockwood brand).  When using the lump hardwood, do you get a competing smoke with the lump burning along with the wood I selected for my smoke wood?   Also, it seems that the Stubbs provides a more consistent heat source than the lump hardwood and I find I have to tend my fire much less.  Is this normal?

Last question:  I have a pork roast (not tenderloin or shoulder) that I want to smoke.  Any ideas on temp and approximate time as well prep suggestions(rubs, injections ,etc)?

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this group!

Welcome from Pa.

You will get a more constant temp from briqs. They are uniform in size.

I prefer lump. If the basket is packed well with lump the temps will be better.

No, the smoke from the lump will not over take the smoke wood flavor.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...

What Adam said about the fire.
Happy smoken.
David

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and Cold  day in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of                    information on just about  everything   Good advice already 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky