Just getting started ...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kpgray

Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Newark
Hi,

I am a 'virgin smoker'. I just assembled my Meco 5030 electric smoker yesterday.
I plan on smoking a chicken tomorrow. I'll brine the chicken tonite and start smoking it tomorrow morning.
We invited a friend over for dinner (to be a guinea pig) to try out my first attempt at smoking - hopefully, we won't be eating out!
After a successful chicken, I'm looking forward to smoking a brisket.

Proud to be part of the 'que' group.
rolleyes.gif

Welcome aboard! You have certainly come to the right place for all things smokin', so sit back, ask questions and listen up... you'll be a hero in no time!

Have fun!

Welcome KP! Hey, before ya put food in that puppy you should clean 'er out and season it. Wipe inside out with damp rag, wash grilles and waterbowl/whatever in soapy water and rinse. then spray the inside down with Pam and fire it up. get it hot, add a few chips and let it go for a while...

You are about to learn sooo much, be careful yer head don't pop...;{)

Welcome to the forum kpgray! Good luck with the chicken and take lots of pictures for us.
smile.gif

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay.

Welcome to SMF! This is a great place to hang out if you're just getting started. The folks here are friendly and always ready to help out, so don't be afraid to as questions. There's also lots of good info you can find by just clicking on the links on the left side of the page.

Again... welcome, we're glad to have you with us.

welcome to smf you're gunna love it here, now I gotta get back to brineing my turkeys I wanna get um on the smoker early sunday morning, they say it's gunna be -10 Sunday up here
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Welcome to SMF, don't forget q-view ( pics ) of your smokes , we all luv em ....oh yea ....start saving up for ANOTHER SMOKER ,,,it won't take long and you'll prolly want another
biggrin.gif
, see ya in the forums .

Welcome to the forum... I highly suggest Jeff's free 5 day e-course.... you can pick up a lot really quick.... Lots of good people on here with great tips tricks recipes.... Have fun smokin'

Thanks to all for the great welcome!

The chicken was a HUGH success!!! We ended up with 6 people eating one, almost 6# chicken (made lots of side dishes). Everyone was very impressed with the chicken and LOVED it!

I brined the chicken overnite and smoked it for about 4.5 hours. I used 4 medium-sized chunks of hickory. (I ended up using the shipping box the smoker came in to use as a wind break for the smoker since it was a little breezy that day and the thermometer wasn't staying in the ideal range.) The skin wasn't completely inedible but it wasn't great - but, no great loss. The meat was moist, tender and very flavorful. It was an even bigger hit than my beer-can chicken. It turned out so well I might do another one before attempting the brisket.

Will lump charcoal give any smoke flavor when used with an electric smoker; or should I just stick with wood chunks?

P.S. To Minn.bill - I don't get up early; I stay up late!

k

IMO, I'd stick with the wood chunks. You'll get some smoke from the lump, but the chunks are what you need to get the desired flavor. Unless you are going for a strictly charcoal flavor, then by all means, do it.

Congrats on a successful smoke... and don't forget pictures next time!
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky