Jus' Blowin Smoke!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotchileman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Grants Pass
Hi friends!! I am not new to BBQing.....VERY new to smoking. I am also a longtime computer user and web surfer but.... new to blogs and forums like yours!! I stumbled onto your amazing SMF site only to find a nice, long, enthusiastic thread about one of the products I have been making for going on 6 years now. "Dave's Dragon Dust". It is a blend of all the hottest chiles on earth, dehydrated, ground and blended into what we think is a very unique, flavorful blend. There are no fillers, salt or chiles with a scoville rating less than 150,000!!
icon_eek.gif
LOL While I do have a basic blend that I use, It has evolved into what I think of as a vineyards wine. A little different each year. The grapes harvested are from the same plants and they are the same grapes, the weather, water and nutrients can effect how the grapes turn out each year. It is somewhat the same with chiles...How hot was the summer, how rich was the compost etc.... add things like a more or less abundant crop in one variety or another and you get variations in your final harvest. Again the basic amounts of "types" of chiles used are carefully monitored. We have added some chiles to the farm this year like the Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, The Trinidad Scorpion, The Trinidad Seven Pot, (we think this is hotter than the Bhut Jolokia/Ghost chile. More on that later) We grew more chocolate habanero varieties this year as they are prolific producers. We also ommited a few varieties that were not good producers. So hence the ever evolving blend. I actually like the fact that it is not "exactly" the same from year to year. Also with the addition of 3 new super hot chiles.....It has gotten a little more potent. One of the things we pride ourselves in is the chipotle. We use a Jalapeno called a "Goliath" rated 3 times hotter than an average Jalapeno and larger. I should say I "DID" pride myself!!! LOL you have a member, ALX who has the best looking Chipotle I have ever seen!!! So we add about 8-10 % Chipotle to the Dust to give it a hint of smokeyness.

I am a licensed contractor in southern Oregon who is slowing turning into a chile farmer as my main source of income. We have an 11 acre farm where we grow many fruits and vegetables. Slowly the chiles are crowding out everything else. We have a lot of land but I jokingly tell my family we only have room for 1 tomatoe plant this year!!
icon_cool.gif
I grow some of our crop isolated and sell seeds from them. We have Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Scorpion, Seven Pot & Naga Morich, just to name a few. I recently took and passed a food science course @ Oregon State University. "better process control". I passed and now am licensed to manufacture and market "high acid/low PH" foods. BBQ sauce, Hot sauce, ketchup etc... We have 3 BBQ sauce products and 2 Hot sauce products that are ready pending labels and the nutritional info. we'll keep you posted. So now that I have filled you in.... I look forward to hearing from any who have interest in Chiles, Gardening, Blues Guitar, BBQ Sauce, Hot Sauce, Smoking Meats, or any who might need seeds for this years garden!! I am a newb at smoking but have a "Burning" interest to learn. (no pun intended) If anyone has wanted to bottle hot sauce or BBQ sauce at home for them selves but weren't sure about the process, I'd be glad to help!!! I will be posting pictures of some of our chiles on the "peppers" thread soon. Take care smoker dudes!!! Dave "HotChileMan"

Awesome to have you with us at SMF and welcome.I grow about 100 chiles a year and any of your experience is very welcome...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks for compliment.I use Goliath and Grande for my chipotles as well.

Welcome Dave, great that you ended up joining our great and ever growing smoking site.
You're sure to find not just great info from all the members but there are tons of chili heads here.
Nice eye catching Alex's peppers, the man knows how to grow a great garden, and smoke great food as well as you will continue to see.

"The Trinidad Seven Pot, (we think this is hotter than the Bhut Jolokia/Ghost chile"

I can't imagine! Hotter than a bhut, you're a hot chili pepper growing maniac!!!
Eat one of those and you would have to spray mace in your mouth to cool it down.

I have a pepper garden every year so I can't wait for ideas, recipes and tips to try out once the growing season begins again.

Happy smokes Dave
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

ps
First time I came across Dave's product and used it I loved it, here is a link to his site for anyone interested in Dave's Dragon Dust.
I've tried it and I know Rivet has as well, great stuff!

http://www.dragonsdust.com/

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Welcome to the family, glad you found us
That was some intro, I agree with Dude, you are gonna be a big hit around here
I may have to hit you up for some good seeds, been meaning to start a pepper garden.

You will find a ton of good information floating around in here

Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Check out the 5 day ecourse it is definitely worth it

Good Luck And Happy Smokes

Welcome to SMF, Dave. Glad you joined us. I just grew my first hot pepper this year and am hooked. Looking forward to learning more.

Hi Dave and welcome to the SMF, glad you found us. You've got some great spices and ideas and look forward to using them in my recipes. Liek the idea off the chocolate habanero as well as the chipotle for added smokiness.

With your vintners eye for peppers, I may have to start squirreling some away of each year's offering!

Hey HotChileMan-

Living here in New Mexico affords us with a wide selection of chile varieties. I usually grow several varieties, but I have yet to try (or see) bhuts available around here. Do you think that we can arrange for some seeds? I'd be willing to pay postage and for your trouble.

smokenmirrors

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky