Jerky questions with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
Making my first ever jerky and first time using cure. I used Hi mountain cure & seasoning and followed measurements after weighing meat when I finished trimming and slicing. I actually let cure for 46 hours instead of 24 hours because I wasn't around to smoke it at the 24 hour mark.

#1 Should I be concerned that some of the meat is brown and some is red? It was fresh meat and seasoned/cured the day I bought it. I was under the impression that cure colored meat so I assumed it would all look the same. Is this normal(see pictures)?

#2 I included Hi Mountain's smoking directions which vary greatly from most of what I've seen here in the forums. Most here seem to go lower temp and longer time than Hi Mountain's 200 for 1 1/2-2 hours. I wanted to follow their directions being my first time but now I'm wondering if I should go slower and lower.

Any feedback is appreciated.

6702c160_IMGP2237.jpg
bfe0f8fc_IMGP2238.jpg
ad202759_IMGP2239.jpg
69071cb0_himountain.jpg

I have used Hi-Mtn cures alot, as long as you followed the directions you are good to go. The brown parts are probably where it wasn't sitting in the juice like the other parts, no worries on that just smoke on. I always use a lower temp (160)  for jerky, it's cured so you don't have to worry about rushing it. Hope this helps. 

Or the pieces of meat were in contact with each for a period of time. This will cause it to turn brown too. Oxygen is what makes it red. Lack of O2 will cause brown discoloration. Like when you break open some ground beef and it's brown inside even though you know it's fresh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky