Jeffs rub and sauce recipes....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
Going to give these a try. When measuring the brown sugar do you pack it down in the measuring cup or just pour it from the bag into the measuring cup untill the desired amount is reached. This could make a huge difference.

I kinda pack it down. If it ends up too sweet, the next time you'll know.
icon_wink.gif

Usually for brown sugar quantities it will specify "packed" if required.
I'm not sure in this instance. I leave it loose cause I don't like real sweet sauce or rubs.Neither recipe specifies packed.

When in school, I took "home ecnomics" in the 8th grade. We were taught that for brown sugar you always pack it. For the rub, I use turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar.

Yep...I took home ec too in jr high, but it wasn't to learn how to cook or anything. I was there for 1 reason............the ladies!!!! But I ended up learning some stuff anyways. Never did land me one of them ladies.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

When I took home ec I didn't learn much of nothing except sex education!
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif
Then again I can sew up a turkey really good now!

I wonder why some recipies specify packed and some don't. is it just a some do some don't type of thing?

I also recommend using a metal mesh strainer to work the lumps out. The finer sugar and other ingredients will fall through, leaving the lumps behind. Then take a spoon and mash the lumps into the strainer and they will break down nicely that way.

I just got done makin' a batch of Jeffs and a new experimental Busted Luck batch....

SHHHHH! i'll give it a test run soon on Gramason, Smokeys my Pet, and now Big Tex....

Let them tell if its any good......or not

Tomorrow is like Christmas morning all over again as I'm preparing for my inaugural smoke as both the smoker with a new smoker.

Am going to use Jeff's rib rub recipe on 2 slabs of ribs. I bought them from Publix and they look to have that lip on top that has been recommended to be trimmed off and smoked as appetizer pieces. Is that necessary? Has anyone ever smoked a slab of ribs without trimming them and if so, are they fine? I'm sure they are but wanted to understand why it was recommended to trim that piece of meat.

Thanks!

Whenever I smoke spares, I never trim them first. I remove the membrane, apply the rub, and smoke 'em. Come out good to me. And the wife. And the baby.

When it comes to measuring dry, pack lightly and then take a knife or your finger will do but skim off the top of the measuring cup, you will be close to what you need

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky