Italian Summer Donut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin monkey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sutton In Ashfield, UK
Italian Summer Donut, OK so it's a Fattie!

Spray oil to the mould.

Lined the mould with Streaky Bacon, used knife and a bit of pressure along the bacon, to stretch bacon.

I used Pork Mince. Added S&P, Garlic Purée as I did not want to bite into garlic pieces, and Dried Oregano. Mixed together.
Lined the mould with Mince mixture, about 1/2 thick.
First layed in Roasted Peppers, then Sun Dried Tomatoes, then Mozzerella Cheese. Once this was all in, covered with a layer of the Mince.
Folded the over hanging Bacon over and applied pressure.
Allowed to sit in fridge overnight to firm up.

Sorry no pictures of build as it was pretty messey and did not want to get camera covered.

Removed from fridge, set smoker up for indirect 105'C (225'F) with Apple Wood.

Used Jeffs rub.

Turned out onto grill and completed covering in rub.

(Ribs in the back ground)

2 1/2 Hours until IT 74'C (165'F)

I will leave you a slice here!

Back to The Smokin Monkey Cook Book http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/253497/the-smokin-monkey-cook-book

Last edited:
Oh yeah!!! That is a great idea.  I see this being done for the office in the near future.

Thanks!!!!

Ah, nicely done!

Reminds me of the helluva lotta fun I had with the fattie-cake, and previously, the fattie-pie (way back).

This looks far easier to do...the double-layer cake required some freezer time between each step to set-up the sausage...little did I know when planning this, it was a PITA in the making, but an impressive work of art when it finally was on the plate. I haven't done them since...very labor intensive...and for anyone who was following that, no, I doubt that I'll EVER do the triple or quad-layer...that WOULD be insane.

This "donut" just looks beautiful with the bacon wrap...sliced looks mighty delicious, too!!!

Great method, simple, good match-up of just a couple ingredients so they speak for themselves...I like that...and, so easy even I'd do it...
roflmao.gif

Points coming, if I can...

Eric

Looks great! Nice Man Cake!

Looks GOOD.  I'll be over for my slice.  I've only seen this done once before--it has a great look to it.  Nice job.

Gary

Oh yeah!!! That is a great idea.  I see this being done for the office in the near future.

Thanks!!!!

Oh yea!

That looks fantastic!

Great idea!

Point!

Al

Great idea! Looks awesome!

Great idea and execution!

Those eyetalians sure know how to make a donught. Awesome creation.

As Gary said...I have seen this once before and it looks great... How much bacon is needed for this ????

Ah, nicely done!

Reminds me of the helluva lotta fun I had with the fattie-cake, and previously, the fattie-pie (way back).

This looks far easier to do...the double-layer cake required some freezer time between each step to set-up the sausage...little did I know when planning this, it was a PITA in the making, but an impressive work of art when it finally was on the plate. I haven't done them since...very labor intensive...and for anyone who was following that, no, I doubt that I'll EVER do the triple or quad-layer...that WOULD be insane.

This "donut" just looks beautiful with the bacon wrap...sliced looks mighty delicious, too!!!

Great method, simple, good match-up of just a couple ingredients so they speak for themselves...I like that...and, so easy even I'd do it...:rotflmao:

Points coming, if I can...

Eric

Thank you all for your comments.

There was some thing similar to this, but I could not find the thread.

Three simple ingridients for the filling made it a great taste, especially with the Dried Oregano in the Mince.

I used approx 24 rashers of bacon.

Thanks for the Points, appreciated!

SM That looks fantastic,never seen anything like that so Points for sharing

Richie

points.gif

Hello Steve.  GREAT JOB!  Looks FANTASTIC!

May I help you with some translation; although I know our American members "get it".

Was the bacon smoked?  Streaky bacon.  Well in the States it is streaky bacon and is smoked.  We do have other types but if you say bacon, it is assumed it is streaky and smoked..  Ham is usually also smoked.  I think you would struggle to find unsmoked bacon

Minced pork=Ground pork.  As in ground meat or hamburger meat.

You know I am just jerking your chain buddy.  Good thread!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Thumbs up for that! Using the mold is brilliant :)
I want to do a fatty soon since the wife said okay when I showed her the fatty throwdown threads!

Hello Steve.  GREAT JOB!  Looks FANTASTIC!

May I help you with some translation; although I know our American members "get it".

Was the bacon smoked?  Streaky bacon.  Well in the States it is streaky bacon and is smoked.  We do have other types but if you say bacon, it is assumed it is streaky and smoked..  Ham is usually also smoked.  I think you would struggle to find unsmoked bacon
Minced pork=Ground pork.  As in ground meat or hamburger meat.

You know I am just jerking your chain buddy.  Good thread!  Keep Smokin!
Danny

Will have to use my English to American Translator next time :biggrin:

Streaky Bacon, Bacon from the Belly unsmoked.
Pork put through a Mincer/Grinder.

Thanks for reminding me Danny!

Thumbs up for that! Using the mold is brilliant :)
I want to do a fatty soon since the wife said okay when I showed her the fatty throwdown threads!

Hi Mike, the mould make it easy in two ways,

It's easy to prepare, you do not have to do a Bacon Weave.
It's easy to carve to serve.

Reactions: mike w
Yeah, I'll be doing this!  That looks awesome!

Thanks Cranky, just wished I could remember who did it on here so I can give them credit they deserve.

SM That looks fantastic,never seen anything like that so Points for sharing
Richie

:points:

Hi Richie thanks for the points. As before someone else should really take the credit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky