Italian Bruschetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tasunkawitko

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2008
Chinook, Montana
Italian Bruschetta

This recipe is actually from Italy and is outstanding; I recommend dicing the onion and garlic very small.

8 roma tomatoes, chopped into cubes
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 bunch fresh basil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 dash salt and pepper
1 loaf long French bread, sliced

Chop roma tomatoes, red onion, and garlic; put into medium sized bowl, set aside.

In food processor chop the basil until very fine, add to tomato mixture.

Add red wine vinegar and oil, salt/pepper and mix well.

Meanwhile grill/ or broil bread until just toasted, then top bread with mixture and serve.

For the bread, brush it lightly with olive oil, grill, then take a fresh garlic clove and rub it onto the toasted surface of the bread. I use almost a whole garlic clove per slice of bread. Try it sometime.

excellent suggestion FU - i did not do that with this recipe, but i thought about doing it and probably should ahve. i believe it would have added to the final product.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Hey Tas~

We made it the way you said last night and it was fantastico! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

After making the salsa we had the Bruschetta and a bottle of wine for dinner and it was right on
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

glad you guys liked it! everyone scarfed it all down and even managed to dip some leftover bread into the "juice" and sop all that up, too.

definitely a great recipe to be used again with any italian dinner ~

This is an essential step IMO. I sand the bread with a garlic clove when making Bruschetta or plain old garlic bread. The flavor of the garlic is fresh and prominent

Sounds liek a great recipe.
Gonna get some Romas and basil from the garden and use smoked garlic
OOPS! Just remembered I have garlic heads on the smoker, hope they are fine!
Thanks for the recipe, gotta go!!!!!!!!

This recipe is a keeper, my daughter just returned from 3 months in France, Italy, Spain. She described how common similar takes on your recipe was in Italy, and love them. So as a surprise I will make your recipe for her.

I just made a tapa lunch snack, I saw on Tyler Florence show.

"Mother Hen" Toast: Gallina De Madre for 2
2 - 1 -1.5" thick sliced Country Bread.
EVOO
Kosher Salt, fresh ground black pepper
4 slices of shaved serrano ham (I used 4 thin slices of smoked ham).
2 - eggs
Bechamel sauce (all kinds of recipes on internet)

Toast bread slices either oven or toaster, just till brown and crusty.
brush with EVOO
Add Bechamel sauce to top of toast, you want it a bit thick.
Add ham slicec, make a nest in middle.
Add egg, I used only yoke, as I had too little slices of toast. (I had to use a toothpic to pin ham so egg wouldn't run off)
Cook under broiler, until egee yoke is cooked, but not hardened.
Drizzle a little Bechamel over the top of finished toast with egg.
Changes... Since I didn't have the spanish ham, I added mustart to the Bechamel, just a little for a kick), also while making the Bechamel I used tyme and finely minced onion for flavor in the bechamel.
Be sure to season everything as you go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky