Is my butt cooking too fast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texaspescado

Original poster
May 9, 2014
After 2 hrs it's already at 140* with average chamber temps at 260*....It's a 9Lb butt. Can I expect a super long stall or did I screw it up? I planned on this taking about 16 to 18 hours.

Maverick Redi-Chek and a Weber 22.5 kettle. I already moved the probe thinking it may be too close to the bone.

Looks like it's hit the stall at 160* after only 3.5 hours. This is only my 2nd butt and I don't remember the first one getting to the stall near that quick. I brought the temp down to 230* so hopefully everything will be ok.

You were/are fine. Butts do well at any temp between 225 and 325°F. Your temp rise time at 260° was about right...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky