Is a Joint Spare Ribs & Chicken Halves Smoke too Agressive for 2nd Time Smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

learnin2smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Hi Family:

With Labor Day 2014 quickly approaching, my family has decided that they want both chicken and spare ribs, but I am wondering if this move would be too aggressive for someone just starting to get a grasp on everything that smoking entails. My first smoke was a few weeks ago and I only did chicken quarters, but they did come out very very good. I was thinking I would have to get the temps for the chicken up to at least 375 for a good smoke with crispy skin, but the ribs should be around 230 -240. If I get the side of my food chamber that is closest to the firebox u to 275-285 for the chicken, I am not sure there I have enough skill to get and keep the far side to around 240 for the ribs. Are there any tips or advice on how I can tackle this challenge without freaking out and ruining the meat with creosote or cooking the ribs at too high a temp?

Learnintosmoke, hello and welcome to our World. I really don't see any problem with having the 'hot spot' around 300*F . The other end ( I'm guessing is below that temp. You need a good Thermometer and a bit of time observing your Smoker .

Watch the temp.and adjust the intake as needed , too low increase the fuel some , high , open the lid a crack until it lowers .

Just DO NOT let the Chicken touch the Ribs until they are done . Chicken will be done at 165*F in thighs  and 170*F or so in the Breast.

When the Ribs are done , they will bend and crack like this:

Have fun and . . .

I agree with oldschool too.

You can also crisp the skin with a torch or on a gas grill.

275 -285 is also good for ribs.

I cook mine at 275 all the time.

If you're doing 3-2-1 ribs when you foil the ribs put them in the oven, at that point they aren't gonna get any smoke anyway, then get you smoker to a higher temp and put the chicken in the smoker for the two hour phase (if they aren't to big and you spatchcock they'll take about two hours). Then for the last hour put the chicken in the oven, turned off but warm, and finish the ribs like you normally would.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/161786/3-pork-2-chicken-1-pork

Last edited:
Like welshrarebit says the chick should only take 2 to 2.5 hours so you could do as suggested and get good results or instead of oven a grill would work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky