Internal Thermo reading high??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nrok2118

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Bucks County, PA
Hey all, I just put up a thread in the charcoal section since this is my first time smoking with my Weber Smokey Mountain.  But I figure Id get some more knowledge here. 

Problem is Im cooking some chicken quarters and the thermo probe is reading high.  I tried two different probes in multiple spots in multiple pieces but always got an internal temp around 120 fresh on the cook straight from the fridge.   At this point they have been on cooking at 250 for about 30-45 min and its reading 151?!  any help is appreciated!!

Yeah i tested both with various tests to ensure accurate readings, Im thinking it must be a bone thing but i tried multiple times to get it into a thick part of meat, hopefully i just suck.  Im gonna let them go for a bit and flip them and try to find a better spot for the probe

You either got a bad probe... or your probes got washed/submerged in water. First time I had a probe set up I washed it in the dishwasher.... after that it would read 140° just sitting on the table, bought new probes and works fine now.

Since you have the WSM the lid therm is actually accurate - amazing, a factory therm that actually works! lol. Just keep your lid therm around 250° then if you have a quick read meat thermometer you can check the internal temp. on the chicken after about 2 hrs. I find 2-3 hrs. is average for leg quarters with my WSM running at 250'ish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky