Injecting Pork Shoulders after 4hrs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I mention the Danger Zone rule often.

I recommend not injecting or probing with a therm before 3 hours, to newbies, or anyone else who isn't sure if the piece of meat they are putting in will get to 135˚ IT in no longer than 4 hours. I used to worry about that Danger Zone until I got that info from Pineywoods, who got it from bbally, who knows just about everything about food safety. Now I never insert my temperature probe until the Butt, Brisket, Chucky, Prime Rib, or any other large uncured hunk of meat has been in my smoker at 225˚ for at least 3 hours.

My 2¢

Bear

Just little gems of greasy goodness.   ?????????????  Actually, they are relatively fat free and are steamed...not fried.

"20" Al?  The new Kingfish!  Never in my best form.  Wow!
77.gif

I'm a "Thinker".   I like thinking.  I no longer have gainful employment and I think all day about, "What ifs".  Rules are usually made for protection, e.g. consumers, manufacturers, retailers and those among the general population....... with half-a-brain.

USDA rules/regulations/advisements are well place within society.  They are necessary.  However I cannot help but think how neurotic and hyper we have become. Yes....some are not capable of tying their own shoes while others are able to skim the printed page and live to see another day. 

Read packaging caveats. Light bulbs...Not to be taken internally.  Coffee containers.....Do not spill this in your lap.

Common sense is NOT common and so, we need "Big Brother". 

I for one, have always kept pert' info' regarding smoking on flash cards.  I have just gleened some interesting info' from the sages in this thread and made some new reference notes. I have my "Smoker's Note Book" with reminders.

As we become older and by rote we do what we have always been doing as "experts" for years,.......... we sometimes need a wake-up call. Graphically and physically, it's called, "A kick in the ass".  Whom among us, after umteen years of cooking, hasn't forgetfully or by side-stepping rules, burnt a finger, while doing what we know we shouldn't have been doing?

If I am fast....I can pick-up this hot pot without a mitt.  Scrub this clod in icey cold water?  Ahhhh I can skip this step. I'm in a hurry and nothing's going to happen anyway.

Hey! Waasuhmadder? No thoughts regarding grubby smokers being harbingers of bacteria and disease?  You can take that either way if you are awake.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it wasn't a white castle we had, what was the name of the other slider place that was popular at the time?  About 3 inch square burgers fried with onions smashed into them served on a soft dinner roll?  That was some good eating!

You mentioned as we get older we tend to forget "common sense" sometimes.  The bad thing about that is as we get older we are not able to heal or react to those stupid mistakes as quickly as we used to.   When I grab a hot pot nowdays it takes a bit longer to get the darn thing back on the stove top without making a mess so the burn is a bit worse.   If I eat bad food nowdays with all the health problems we encounter it may not be a mistake that we heal quickly from.

I have a 74 yr old FIL with heart, blood pressure, sugar problems.  Just old, worn out from worrying about my wife her entire life.  Can you imagine how much fun my life would be if he got sick from my cooking?

We have a bunch of friends coming over for SELA this Fall.  Can you imagine the amount of grief I would catch on this forum if any one of them had to spend time hugging the porcelin after eating my food?  NO way it aint going to happen. 

I try to remember that it is always better to be to darn safe when handleing food then to make one mistake, especially when sharing the meal with people that trust you to serve a properly prepared dish.

Thats my monthly safety rant for the one or two people on the forum that have yet to read one. 

Al,

Normally 12 cents, late 40s very, very early50s, square, 5 holes, onions, pickle...don't forget to ask for "extra pickle", small bun...never use ketchup and steamed over the chopped onion on a griddle. I'm as old as your F-I-L so coffee in a THICK cup the size of a European coffee cup was a nickel and the orange drink was the antidote.  I never heard of anyone getting sick.  My daughter moved to NYC and gets them regularly.

Sorry! We sort of high-jacked this thread in the end but before this, it gave an old guy like me, some good notes. Never to old to learn.

Rich (KK)

al   your thinking of a crystal burger  almost the same as a white castle  you remember heading home from being out in high school, stop and get a bag of 5 or 6 to eat before going to sleep?

X 2 what Al said....I have a feeling most/some/all of us have pushed the envelope at times with food to be consumed. Sometimes you dodge the bullet, sometimes not. I myself have injected raw butts and worried if I was gonna die or worse, depending on your view, have the s**** for 7 days as some above. Neither happened. I seem to be much more careful about where I eat out as of late, and what I eat out in joints. As Bourdain said, 'never eat fish on Mondays or meat loaf on Fridays' (well, something like that).

Yep, 

Crystal Burgers.  They have started selling them in some of the Kangaroo Quick Stops but it just isn't the same.

Yup! You had Krystals; founded in 1932, along the lines of White Castle, born in 1921; thick cups and all. I just googled. Hummm Krystal Belly-Bombs with BBQ sauce look good but a thousand miles is a loooong way to go.

Maybe not???

X 2 what Al said....I have a feeling most/some/all of us have pushed the envelope at times with food to be consumed. Sometimes you dodge the bullet, sometimes not. I myself have injected raw butts and worried if I was gonna die or worse, depending on your view, have the s**** for 7 days as some above. Neither happened. I seem to be much more careful about where I eat out as of late, and what I eat out in joints. As Bourdain said, 'never eat fish on Mondays or meat loaf on Fridays' (well, something like that).

Keep you meat fresh, your injections cold and your poker clean. Buon Appetito!  
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky