Injectable Brine & Cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
Planning my first pulled pork with two bone-in's and wanted do an injection brine/cure with Morton Tender Quick. Would also like to add powdered seasonings to the brine. Has anyone actually done this yet? I think the mix directions for 4 parts water/1 part cure will be too heavy for injection. Maybe cut it back to 6-to-1?

I never gave it much thought in the past to cure first, but these are 3-3/4 to 4#'ers and I'm concerned that I will hang under 140 degrees for entirely too long while smoking @ 200 degrees. Planning for about 4 hours wet smoke in my new Smoke N' Pit, then finish in covered roaster pan w/water in my GOSM @ 200+. Should fall apart after 10-11 hours total, especially with the brine.

Ran a search on SMF, but no results. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Eric

It sounds like, and you probobly know ham. When I dry cure a canadian bacon I also inject with a cure solution. It would in fact take some time to cure fully if you are planning on smoking the meat at that low of a temp, if it was a much larger piece of meat. But I wouldn't be concerned because of the size of the meat, a 4 pounder should be just fine @ 200*. Can't ya get get the new smoker at least up to 225.?

I'd skip the cure and smoke them at 225. You should get above 140 in plenty of time
icon_smile.gif

Kinda my thoughts too kick the heat to 225-250 and you'll be fine. I try to run closer to 230-240 as its a long smoke as it is.

Thanks all. Just wanted you 2 cents worth. Still breaking myself in on alot of smokes. Oh, did my first beef jerky last week, 3-1/2 lbs of top round, marinated in Teriaki/Pineapple for 2 hours after cutting into strips 1/4x1. Peppered with fresh cracked and ran my GOSM @ 170 for 6 hrs (as close as I could), it likes to run hotter, so had to shut down to about 60% heating cycles. Lotsa baby-sittin' there.

Then I did 3 ground beef fatties with shrooms, sauteed Yellow Onion & diced fresh Tomatoes & Nacho Cheese sause. Was a bugger to roll em' up 'cause they were pretty big (full baggie @ 1/2 thick), and the sauce was running out as I rolled. Cam out about 4" diameter pre-cooked. Smoke was pretty intense, not like I was used to eating. Think the GOSM collected alot from the lower temp jerky smoke, then released it along with the 1/2 box of wood chip smoke when I cranked her to 300 degrees.

Still pretty good for the first fatty run though. Out of three 2-1/2 pounders there were two 1-1/2 inch thick slices left over.

Got 1-1/2 lb each of mild Italian and plain pork sausage waiting to get rolled and smoked with the pork. Should be good grindage.

I have pics of the fatties but have trouble with loading the pics from the camera to my PC. Not sure what is going on there but hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it soon. Will add pics when I can.

Thanks again!!! Have a great night. Hope everything gets better down south, them storms really do suck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky