I'm back

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flounderhead

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
My account went away for a while (as did I) but now I'm back and looking to fire up the smoker and broaden my smoke filled horizons. I've done schools of Salmon and Brown Trout, a flock of Turkeys and a single Pork Butt so far (last year was my first year). This year I'm thinking of doing more pork items like maybe some ribs and most definiately more Pork Butts.

Welcome back glad you re-joined us. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome back flounderhead, nice to have you with us.
You said you were thinking of doing more pork items, ever think about doing a fattie? More than just a little pork in some of those!
Also, member "mgwerks" recently posted a wonderful little experiment properly named "Frankenswine" http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/sho...enswine&page=2
It looked amazing.
Ribs are always a good idea but have yet to master them, I tried doing a butt once but, well let's just say I screwed it up and learned my mistakes, but mastering something like that would be a dream.
Question about the turkey you have done. I am a self-proclaimed smoked turkey leg fanatic. I would sleep with them if I could. What I was wondering was your prefered/favorite way of doing turkey, not just legs but any part (legs included). I actually need to Qview some of my newest leg invention next time I make them. Smoke the legs, eat as much as you can, then take whatever is left the next day, remove skin, wrap in proscuitto and sautee in a pan of olive oil (I use my own smoked garlic infused) until crispy.
Something to try, you won't regret it.

So welcome back and hope to see many posts of successful Q in the future.

Welcome back! Just how many Turkeys are in a Flock? ;)

Qview? What's that? Pictures?
Fattie? Not sure what that is, but I can look it up.
Last year my flock of turkeys consisted of 4 (not all at once mind you). The school of fish was 3 Coho, 4 King Salmon. 1 Brown Trout and 2 Steelhead Trout. Brown ended up better texture but I preferred the salmon flavor, Steelhead was better grilled.
I must have gotten lucky with my pork butt as it was my first and it was marvelous. It took a whole lot longer than I thought it would. Perhaps because I had to keep opening the door to add chips. I’ll post the brine recipe for the turkey (pretty sure I have a few pictures too) when I get home tomorrow.

Welcome back.
biggrin.gif

Great to ser you're back into the smoke of things, pork on!

Here's how I do my turkeys:

BRINE:
2 gallons water
1 1/2 cups canning salt
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar

Soak Turkey at least 10-12 hours

Smoke at low-med heat 210-225 degrees for 10-12 hours based on 10-13 lb turkey or until internal temperature is 175-180 degrees. I've smoked using both Apple Cider and water in the pan and honestly didn't notice any difference.

Couldn't find any pictures of the Pork Butt or Salmons

Dude... you are doing a bird that big at those temps without a cure? Even WITH a cure you are asking for trouble. Just thought I'd point that out. Food saftey is important. Enough so to drag ME outta the woodwork.

Holy Cow - Richtee! Thought you got swept away by a tornado. Smoked anything fun lately? Have you been away at work, or did you just get sick of this site being down week after week?

icon_cool.gif

Hope all is well! Summer will be here soon...

He's been in the "woodwork"!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thats a long time to play with poultry for sure, especially at that low temp. Let's please make sure the friendly advise that is given is also safe!
wink.gif

Well actually I cut and pasted the brining time on the smoking time. I smoked it about 7 hours. That being said, I did do some research before I smoked any turkeys and most every site said 12 pounders were fine to smoke and as long as the meat reaches 165 degrees it is safe to eat. Mine stayed in until 175-180 degrees.

Key is...40° to 140° within 4 hours. 165 or 195 won't matter if toxins develop during too long a time in the danger zone.

I never smoke poultry below 250° and prefer 300° as I hate "rubber skin".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky