I'll be joining the ranks of the "pellet poopers"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
This will be a late summer or early Fall project. 
It'll look a little different but you get the idea. I can't believe i'll be a "pooper"!  Double racks and cold smoke settings...The main think i think i'll enjoy besides simplicity is the cold smoke setting...colder than 150 degrees.  This should be great for jerkey slow smoking steaks etc..

This will be a late summer or early Fall project. 

It'll look a little different but you get the idea. I can't believe i'll be a "pooper"!  Double racks and cold smoke settings...The main think i think i'll enjoy besides simplicity is the cold smoke setting...colder than 150 degrees.  This should be great for jerkey slow smoking steaks etc..
Cool---Great things to come!!!

I would hope a lot colder than 150* !!!

There are a bunch of things that will smoke colder than 150*.

Bear

Last edited:
Looks interesting. I'm with Bear, you may want the option to increase the distance between the Generator and the UDS body. This will allow smoking at Ambient so you can do Cheese and stuff below 100*F...JJ

Cool---Great things to come!!!

I would hope a lot colder than 150* !!!

There are a bunch of things that will smoke colder than 150*.

Bear
Bear the every day pellet smoker using it's pellet pot doesn't cold smoke like that...I'm not talking cold smoking like we are used to talk about cold smoking.
biggrin.gif
  My normal cold smoke generator is for those things...   

This "cold smoke" is for  what i'm talking about jerkey, steaks, chops etc... at 130-150  and then searing!

Looks interesting. I'm with Bear, you may want the option to increase the distance between the Generator and the UDS body. This will allow smoking at Ambient so you can do Cheese and stuff below 100*F...JJ
LOL, guys, i'm no newbie and understand cold smoking...I cold smoke all the time... This is for a different purpose!    

The every day pellet smoker on a smoke setting won't smoke this low...this pellet smoker will. 

Bear the every day pellet smoker using it's pellet pot doesn't cold smoke like that...I'm not talking cold smoking like we are used to talk about cold smoking.
biggrin.gif
  My normal cold smoke generator is for those things...   

This "cold smoke" is for  what i'm talking about jerkey, steaks, chops etc... at 130-150  and then searing!
I think you're guilty of doing what I do too often. When you explain something that most people know nothing about, you have to use more words. I make things too short sometimes, because I can't type with more than one finger. I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Is that what it's called, "The every day pellet smoker"? That seems to be what you're saying.

Personally I don't call 130*-150* cold smoking. I call that warm smoking, and that's how I do my Bacon.

Nobody is insinuating that you are a Newbie, but when you call under 150* cold smoking, you are making me feel like a Newbie, and confuse the heck out of me.

Bear

I think you're guilty of doing what I do too often. When you explain something that most people know nothing about, you have to use more words. I make things too short sometimes, because I can't type with more than one finger. I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Is that what it's called, "The every day pellet smoker"? That seems to be what you're saying.

Personally I don't call 130*-150* cold smoking. I call that warm smoking, and that's how I do my Bacon.

Nobody is insinuating that you are a Newbie, but when you call under 150* cold smoking, you are making me feel like a Newbie, and confuse the heck out of me.

Bear
head-wall.gif
    Ok Bear I'll try one more time ....you definitely need to stick with set it and forget it. 
biggrin.gif

Some pellet smokers have something called a "smoke setting"  Basically it's a timed cycle where the auger turns on for 15 seconds and shuts off for a predetermined time....so and and so forth. 

This controller has an adjustable smoke setting which they call a " cold smoke setting" because of 2 reasons...

1) it's digitally adjustable and can have a longer time delay for the auger to turn on for the 15 seconds.

2) Most standard smoke settings the temp usually ends up at around the 180 degree mark...this controller i'm talking about can get the temp much lower.

Why is this good?  It allows you to smoke at much lower temps and get really good smoke....and NO it's not called the "everyday pellet smoker"
laugh1.gif

This UDS version is supposed to be more efficient also which is good for $$$ plus I can put a grate very close to the burn pot for searing....This is a very unique cooker

Last edited:
head-wall.gif
    Ok Bear I'll try one more time ....you definitely need to stick with set it and forget it. 
biggrin.gif
  In other words I'm too stupid to understand why anyone would call 150* cold smoke?

Some pellet smokers have something called a "smoke setting"  Basically it's a timed cycle where the auger turns on for 15 seconds and shuts off for a predetermined time....so and and so forth.   Got it.

This controller has an adjustable smoke setting which they call a " cold smoke setting" because of 2 reasons... So they're the guys who call 150* cold smoke.

1) it's digitally adjustable and can have a longer time delay for the auger to turn on for the 15 seconds. Got it.

2) Most standard smoke settings the temp usually ends up at around the 180 degree mark...this controller i'm talking about can get the temp much lower. Got it.

Why is this good?  It allows you to smoke at much lower temps and get really good smoke....and NO it's not called the "everyday pellet smoker"
laugh1.gif
Then stop calling it "The every day pellet smoker". That's the only name you mentioned. Does it have a name?

This UDS version is supposed to be more efficient also which is good for $$$ plus I can put a grate very close to the burn pot for searing....This is a very unique cooker Cool---Sounds good.
So, now that you explained it better, the part that got me confused didn't come from you. It came from the manufacturer calling "below 150*" cold smoking. Other than insinuating that I'm an idiot (stick to "Set it & forget it"), I thank you for a much better explanation.

Bear

Last edited:
Bear the manufacturer ISN'T insinuating cold smoking is below 150... The call it a cold smoke setting because it smokes at lower temps such as what's good for jerkey, slow smoking steaks etc.... and also because it's lower temps than the competition.    It's a normal pellet smoker other than than...cooks to 450-500

I wasn't insinuating what you thought...poking fun...YES   

I also DID NOT call it the "every day pellet smoker"  I said it wasn't like the everyday pellet smoker.  

Last edited:
Bear the manufacturer ISN'T insinuating cold smoking is below 150... The call it a cold smoke setting because it smokes at lower temps such as what's good for jerkey, slow smoking steaks etc.... and also because it's lower temps than the competition.    It's a normal pellet smoker other than than...cooks to 450-500
Exactly my point. They shouldn't call it "Cold Smoke setting". That's not your fault though. Not my fault either.

Does it have a name---You never mentioned it, and some, including me, may like to search it.

Thanks,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky