I seriously underestimated the heat of.........................

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
Chilis in Adobo sauce! 
th_violent5.gif
icon_eek.gif
  Ever since having Carnitas the other day with a Chipotle Wine sauce, I've been wanting to duplicate the sauce to use at home.  I searched and searched the internet and finally found a recipe with what I thought were the ingredients I identified in the sauce.  Had everything I needed at home except for the Chilis in Adobo sauce, so picked up some today and started cookin'
banana_smiley.gif

Got it reduced a bit and gave it a taste test and about bit off my tongue! I had doubled the recipe and therefore put in two chopped Chilis and wish I had stuck with half the amount!  That stuff packs some serious heat!!!

As much as I hate the stuff, I added more ketchup and when that didn't make a difference, I added more brown sugar which helped slightly.  Finally in desperation I dug out the powdered coco and made a slurry before adding a bit at a time after straining the sauce to remove any chunks of Chilis and the seeds.  The Coco toned it down somewhat, but removing the bits of peppers and the seeds made it tolerable to this pansy Gringo.

The recipe definitely called for too much wine and apple cider vinegar, so will cut those back next time and I think it will be a good sauce

Got a pork butt and some ribs laid out for tomorrow, so will see how it actually tastes with the meat

Reactions: smoking b
I did a butt roast in the crockpot a couple years ago like that.  It called for a pack of onion soup mix, a can of Dr. Pepper, and 2 Chiles and the adobo sauce.  It was nearly inedible...and I love hot stuff.  I did manage to eat it all though.

I feel your pain...

Share the recipe there folks, some people like hot spicy foods, like me!  

This boy eats any and all chicken, irregardless of the way it is cooked or where it is bought from, I have to have a Scotch Bonnet hot Pepper sauce with it.  I go through a small bottle of Tabasco sauce in two weeks.  I have at any time; several hot sauces open in my fridge, including a ghost pepper sauce I love.  I eat spaghetti, cover it with crushed chilis that I grew, about a 8 heat level. My rubs for anything, has to have lots of heat in it.    When I order chicken wings, suicide wings are too mild for me.

battery-062.gif

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

canada-flag-14.gif

Chilis in Adobo sauce! 
th_violent5.gif
icon_eek.gif
  Ever since having Carnitas the other day with a Chipotle Wine sauce, I've been wanting to duplicate the sauce to use at home.  I searched and searched the internet and finally found a recipe with what I thought were the ingredients I identified in the sauce.  Had everything I needed at home except for the Chilis in Adobo sauce, so picked up some today and started cookin'
banana_smiley.gif

Got it reduced a bit and gave it a taste test and about bit off my tongue! I had doubled the recipe and therefore put in two chopped Chilis and wish I had stuck with half the amount!  That stuff packs some serious heat!!!

As much as I hate the stuff, I added more ketchup and when that didn't make a difference, I added more brown sugar which helped slightly.  Finally in desperation I dug out the powdered coco and made a slurry before adding a bit at a time after straining the sauce to remove any chunks of Chilis and the seeds.  The Coco toned it down somewhat, but removing the bits of peppers and the seeds made it tolerable to this pansy Gringo.

The recipe definitely called for too much wine and apple cider vinegar, so will cut those back next time and I think it will be a good sauce

Got a pork butt and some ribs laid out for tomorrow, so will see how it actually tastes with the meat
Ha! Good one! I almost blew beer out my nose when I read that 
th_roflmao.gif
   I'll give you points for that - I really needed a laugh - thank you 
beercheer.gif

You can reduce the Heat and retain all the flavor by using just the Adobo Sauce from the can or use Chipotle Powder...JJ

Share the recipe there folks, some people like hot spicy foods, like me!  

This boy eats any and all chicken, irregardless of the way it is cooked or where it is bought from, I have to have a Scotch Bonnet hot Pepper sauce with it.  I go through a small bottle of Tabasco sauce in two weeks.  I have at any time; several hot sauces open in my fridge, including a ghost pepper sauce I love.  I eat spaghetti, cover it with crushed chilis that I grew, about a 8 heat level. My rubs for anything, has to have lots of heat in it.   When I order chicken wings, suicide wings are too mild for me.

battery-062.gif

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

canada-flag-14.gif
This will be too mild for you then, but adjust the heat to suit your taste. 

Please note I doubled the recipe and would make the following adjustments next time.

For my tastses, I would NOT double the Chipotle peppers.  I also chopped them up pretty fine and put seeds and all in the sauce and had to strain those out at the end.

I found 2/3 cup of dry red wine to be too much and would modify to 1/2 cup or less if doubling the recipe.  I did not flame the alcohol out of the wine so as not to freak out the wife
biggrin.gif

I also tasted too much vinegar, so would cut that back a bit as well

In an effort to tone down the heat, I added more ketchup, more brown sugar and then finally made a slurry out of Coco powder and stirred that in making it more of a Mole sauce, but without the usual broth.  Even with these additions the wine and vinegar were still to prevalent

I used granulated garlic and would up that amount from 1 teaspoon next time

It came out just right thickness wise and had a really good deep, dark red color

Chipotle wine sauce

1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup red wine, preferably dry
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 Chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce

In a medium saucepan, add olive oil, garlic, chipotle pepper, and cumin. Allow to heat through, while stirring, for 1 minute. Add red wine and brown sugar. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add in soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly before using.

Chilis in Adobo sauce! 
th_violent5.gif
icon_eek.gif
banana_smiley.gif

Ha! Good one! I almost blew beer out my nose when I read that 
th_roflmao.gif
   I'll give you points for that - I really needed a laugh - thank you 
beercheer.gif
Glad you had a laugh, and thanks for the points
beercheer.gif
  I can take a fair amount of heat, but those chipotles were POTENT!  I had a choice of three brands, so I bought the most expensive without all the funky artificial ingredients the others listed

When we order Mexican food, i always ask for a bowl of the hot stuff and dilute it with some of the mild to make it tolerable.  Yes, I treat my socks with diesel fuel to keep the ants from crawling up my legs and biting my candy butt
39.gif
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky